JPW Sonatas

All general audio posts go here.
57charles
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: JPW Sonatas

Unread post by 57charles »

I read somewhere that the best material for speaker cabinets is something called aerolam although my Spendor SP2/3r2 sound good in the midrange and top and they're made of MDF (I think). Just need more bass and that's to do with size not cabinet material.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Helen Bach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 am You came here on a lie and to spam the forum, that is enough of an insult and rudeness. The good thing about forums is the train of posts creating a history, so what I say is as plain as the nose on your face. You will get no respect from people you lie to and troll, it is that simple. The other clue you are here for purpose i.e. to troll is that you have made no other posts but to follow your agenda.

Now lets have that introduction post, who are you and why are you here, what names do you use on other forums, so we can read your history and judge you. If it turns out I / we are wrong you will have my apology, but as I say what is going on is pretty obvious.
I came here (for the third time) looking for insight into improving the JPW Sonata. I haven't found it!
:hbs:

You have been give a step by step guide to modifications that have been implemented by members here with very pleasing results.

We can't force you to open your mind and ears.

The remainder of your posting is diversion and deflection.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

57charles wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm I read somewhere that the best material for speaker cabinets is something called aerolam although my Spendor SP2/3r2 sound good in the midrange and top and they're made of MDF (I think). Just need more bass and that's to do with size not cabinet material.
Everything you say above in my opinion and experience is wrong, you should always take with a pinch of salt anything you "read somewhere". Do it yourself then you will *know* and not have to believe some knob heads crap. Maybe even me.

57charles

Dr Bunsen, I think it was Celestion who used aerolam which is something to do with aircraft. It was vety expensive and difficult to make into a box - they had lots of rejects and had to stop using it. The best material for cabinets is inert and low mass - not many materials are light and inert and one of the very few is aerolam. I remember tapping the cabinet of one of these speakers many years ago and it sounded like concrete. Because of this sound my brain thought it was going to be heavy but when I went to pick it up, I nearly threw it up in the air - it was ridiculously light. This must have been over 20 years ago. One wonders with 20 years of improvement with drive units and crossovers what modern versions would sound like.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I know all about it, I have experimented with it, musically it doesn't work. It creates thin muddled music. I can even explain why it is crap if you want. The material is full of holes / spaces. The aluminium couples between those spaces, energy is converted back to sound in those spaces and the phase is changed and again and again and again as it reflects around all the holes. It then emerges as distortion mostly in musical timing (phase) especially at low frequences. Again i say you shouldn't believe what you read, use it then you will know.

A similar wood based material Torlyte marketed by #1 rip-off merchant Russ Andrew does work for the job it is used for but stupidly expensive so I would never use it, but I would never build speaker cabinets with it.

57charles

Dr Bunsen, thank you for the information.