JPW Sonatas

All general audio posts go here.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: JPW Sonatas

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

The paper referenced by Hell And Back is not hugely helpful in this context. Post 17 from Bob Brines in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... -idea.html is, I suspect a little more relevant.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You came here on a lie and to spam the forum, that is enough of an insult and rudeness. The good thing about forums is the train of posts creating a history, so what I say is as plain as the nose on your face. You will get no respect from people you lie to and troll, it is that simple. The other clue you are here for purpose i.e. to troll is that you have made no other posts but to follow your agenda.

Now lets have that introduction post, who are you and why are you here, what names do you use on other forums, so we can read your history and judge you. If it turns out I / we are wrong you will have my apology, but as I say what is going on is pretty obvious.

Helen Bach
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Helen Bach »

Simon Hickie wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 am The paper referenced by Hell And Back is not hugely helpful in this context. Post 17 from Bob Brines in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... -idea.html is, I suspect a little more relevant.
well, not so. He talks of 'bell modes' which I don't think he understands. Round things ring, like bells, glasses, bowls, and when there are no cracks!

Helen Bach

Unread post by Helen Bach »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 am You came here on a lie and to spam the forum, that is enough of an insult and rudeness. The good thing about forums is the train of posts creating a history, so what I say is as plain as the nose on your face. You will get no respect from people you lie to and troll, it is that simple. The other clue you are here for purpose i.e. to troll is that you have made no other posts but to follow your agenda.

Now lets have that introduction post, who are you and why are you here, what names do you use on other forums, so we can read your history and judge you. If it turns out I / we are wrong you will have my apology, but as I say what is going on is pretty obvious.
I came here (for the third time) looking for insight into improving the JPW Sonata. I haven't found it! And not posted on any other thread? Gee, I've only just got here. I wanted to know about the Sonata's, and what the rationale was behind the mods, and found that there weren't any. End of...

I have had much better response on another forum, I think I will stick with that one, and leave you mystics to whatever floats ya boats...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No you didn't because your follow up posts had nothing to do with it, you just keep putting it up as an excuse now, you have asked nothing about them. What you have focused on is a deliberate troll to try and draw me into conflict about doc mods - do you think we are blind and stupid.

I will give you one last chance to create some honesty, who are you, why are you here, and what forum names do you use with other forums. Normally we are incognito due to other forum owners banning our member who support us or contribute here, as neither of these apply to you obviously are not at risk so then we need to qualify you if you are going troll us. We need to know if you are qualified / experienced enough to take you seriously.

As said earlier you can show us some of your work where your ideas and theories have been applied, or is it just theory with no empiric back up. Also I have seen the pseudo objective but I have yet to see that being related to music, or even bullshit reviewer speak.

IPNIGHTLY

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY »

Helen Bach is Helen Bach on PFM. Same username. Just another PFM self righteous know it all bore.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Helen Bach.

Sometimes it's good just to tryout a philosophy without worrying about scientific evidence. I would cautiously suggest you give Doc mods a try, after all they will not be a great loss should you not like the results, but at least you would have tried.

I firmly believe you will be amazed when they are completed and then you could tell us why you feel the mods and transformation actually works because to my ears and many other members here, Doc mods surely does the business for us.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

IPNIGHTLY wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 am Helen Bach is Helen Bach on PFM. Same username. Just another PFM self righteous know it all bore.
So came here to educate us. Sad person.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Why couldn't you all just explain that the Sonata was a very cheap speaker made with very basic and cheap parts? The tiny basic cabinet here is the first cost casualty and mass-loading it can't do any harm and may dramatically improve it (why do you think smaller Sonus Fabers could sound as good as they did, maybe the very thick solid walnut cabinet walls helped?). As for wadding or not, it's easily removed and replaced and in tiny boxes like this even I would never stuff them to the gunwales, if at all... Back in my late 50's toddlerhood, wasn't the idea of concrete encloses an ideal solution?

The whole Doc-Mod thing was supposed to be a fun hobby 'thing' to old boxes that may otherwise be scrapped and who knows, they might even be transformed for the better! If the original drivers weren't up to it, then the recommended replacements suitably doped do work very well indeed and actually give a pretty flat response when treated and put into a box. Sensitivity is rather lower but with a good modern amp it's not an issue and these little thiongs wouldn't go very loud even when new, so not a problem imo. The Sonata tweeter was as low as you could go (they used to cost around £1.50 I remember) and replacing it with something more sophisticated wouldn't have hurt at all if it could be shoehorned in..

Of course the science and physics is important, but we're not talking a multi-thousand, let alone multi-million pound business decision here. We're talking about a roughly thirty year old bottom-of-the-range speaker and seeing if by some application of known techniques and amateur stroke of luck if some leftfield thinking might just improve the sound it gives. We're hardly talking expensive collector's items here that would lose all their value if carved up
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pink fish seems to be having problems which has allowed me to search the forum, normally it blocks nonmembers doing it. I have found a list of recent posts by Helen Bach. It seems he is a genuine person and not just a made up troll, but from reading his opinions I am never likely to agree with him about anything, but that doesn't stop him being here. So I will back off and let the game continue and try to stay out of it.

For your edification http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/members/ ... ach.29883/ link to postings.