Joining The Party

All general audio posts go here.
Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Joining The Party

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

I don't know if I am an aficionado - but that series left an indelible impression on me. It was my last year at home, when it came out, and my parents hated it. I loved it. And I haven't really seen it since! But I remember it well, and I think in a sense it formed my career and its many obstructions.

Good thing I never see television now apart from Formula 1. No danger to the viewers there.

Oh - and thanks for the offer, but I'm not a member of Facebook. That party I never joined.

S.
I am not a number. I am a free man

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Welcome. Hope you enjoy slicing and dicing through hi-fi bullshit. We have a taste for it here.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Ah, OK. You could try my website here: http://turnbarrelphotography.zenfolio.com/p1068418965 It has a small selection of approaching 4000 images I've taken over the years.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

By the way, what was the chip in your Class D amp? My reserve amp is based on the tpa3116.

Lotus Seven S

Thanks for all the welcomes....

And thanks Simon for the link. Looking forward to getting over there later in the day. Possible feedback later. As regards "what chip" - I don't think there was one. It was not a chip amp but an oscillating class D amp. Here is the company: http://www.pascal-audio.com

They are not a DIY firm - you have to buy their modules in thousands and not just one. A young team that started with B&O and broke out.

The amp was called Monacor STA 1000 D about 350 pounds sterling. A dreadful Chinese affair, but with the very same module as very expensive amps at the 4-5000 pound mark. One Danish company (I've forgotten their name) started by designing the casework (very modern, very sleek, very desirable and very expensive) before they designed the amp. Then they discovered that they couldn't design an amplifier with sufficient power to get in the casework - everything overheated, so now they use Pascal and charge 10 times more than my modest China Box.

Was that slicing and dicing enough, Chunk?

S.

Lotus Seven S

Oh - and if that wasn't enough slicing and dicing what about this story?

Another firm I know who sell monolithic chunks of aluminium at astrospheric prices (whose name I do remember but will keep to myself) started without knowing anything about anything, other than the observation, that there was a lot of money to make by selling heavy horses (no I mean boxes) backed up by handsome pictures in the audio press. So the starter employed a couple of engineers straight from the college. Build an amp, he said to them. Audio engineering is not taught at the college anymore, so they started by buying a couple of books and they ended by buying OEM modules from somewhere else. And then they improved the modules. Well they had to, because there were a lot of tolerances and a lotta mistakes in them anyway. And this hand designed, thousands of hours of listening to amps are now more expensive than anything else on the market. And I am told are also sold at dumping prices out of the kitchen door.

Nice, eh?

S.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lotus Seven S wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm Thanks IPNIGHTLY.

Why was I banned from Audioflat? Well the chap with all those letters of the alphabet in his name in for me a random order, so I never could remember them (and still can't) was very disappointed with me, and he was quite convinced I was Trolling. I did not take this name calling very gently - and I think he lost all his arguments with me (my avatar was Zig over there, so you can check and see if I am right). I wasn't really banned, I was just sneakily excommunicated. And how do you do that? Well it appears, that you have to make at least one post every month otherwise you can't log on. One day over that month, I was refused log on and asked to contact the administrator, which I did. He never replied and he never opened the pearly gates.

No I don't know that, I will end with the cubes. If I knew that, I would never have started. But that is exactly the name of the game. Other people know things, you don't know yourself, and the wheels of business, love and marriage would all grind to a halt, if we did.

S.
Thanks for sharing that. Nice little story. It's the sort of story you can share with your grandchildren as a wry observation on human behaviour.

The chap with the random letters. They're not random. He used to work in a hi-fi dealers. Naim used to have an advertising slogan: You're No-One Without A Naim (YNWOAN).

He doesn't deal with conflict well. Him and his 2 buddies, FlatPopely and SQ were instrumental in the Doc (Bunsen Honeydew) getting banned from pfm several years ago - simply IMO - because they couldn't handle conflict with him when discussing Hi-fi!

It's also largely down to those 3 that I post on pfm much less frequently than I once did.

Flatpopely used to post on this forum. He never answered any of my questions either. I used to ask him quite interesting but usually impertinent questions like "In your opinion, Flatpopely, is YN someone with Aspergers or borderline Aspergers?"

Lotus Seven S

He he he....

Well I suppose you are no-one without a name.

And a new name would maybe give a new identity.

And then there was David Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name" - (Wonderful Album)

I thought we were all children of Asperger.

As to questions, well, they tend to determine the answers, and we all have to find our own answers anyway, and maybe Flatpopely (another stupid name I can't spell without looking it up again and again) answered your question by not answering your question - if you get what I mean....

S.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We call him Flatty or Fatpoopy, it is easier to remember.

Lotus Seven S

@Simon
Thanks for the pictures, Simon.

What a magical place. Almost defies belief. A dream-world in Reality, and definitely a trigger for stories....

Meanwhile:

It is cold, dark, wet and windy here - more a nightmare than a dream. But definitely Reality.

S.