Joining The Party

All general audio posts go here.
Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Joining The Party

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

Thought I would join the party…..

Just discovered this site a few days ago, and I thought it was like a breath of fresh air. Like meeting the Ronins of HiFi.

Who am I?

Well, I’ve been round the block a couple of times and have ended up somewhere near to nowhere. Probably not unusual. Music has been important to me - and although I have thought a lot about it, I don’t really know why. The Gear-Part har probably more been a pain in the ass and an addiction - and I am under strong self-imposed orders to Stop It.

I have gone back to a set-up that worked for me before: Spendor S3/5 and and EL 84 Tube amplifier. I am sure the Doc does not approve - but it soothes me - and nothing will drag these Spendors from my hands (it is actually the fourth time I have bought them - and I am not doing that any more).

I am an expat living in Scandinavia but born somewhere near where Jammy planted his tatties.

Because reading is believing, I have once again succumbed to the itch and have ordered the Doc's starter set. One never learns - does one? And of course am looking forward to this small Xmas present from the dog - a German Shorthaired Pointer.

I think you all have interesting names, so I hope I have been able to carry on the tradition.

And my credentials for being a Ronin?

Well - I've been banned for life from my home forum in Denmark, and silently excommunicated from Audioflat. Fortunately all water under the bridge. Oh, and of course I was sooner or later fired from all my jobs.

Looking forward to shaking the locks, batting the drums and wiping the blood from my sword.

S.
I am not a number. I am a free man

antonio66

Re: Joining The Party

Unread post by antonio66 »

Welcome Lotus Seven S, great to hear you've ordered the Doc's starter pack so will look forward to a comparison with them tubes. Enjoy the forum.

Lotus Seven S

Thanks antonio66!

I too am looking forward to the comparison and am already enjoying the forum.

S.

IPNIGHTLY

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY »

Welcome Lotus. Banned from forums ? You are in good company here :lol:

Why did the wankers at audioflat ban you ? Having taste? Disagreeing with them ? Calling their systems shit ?

Hope you enjoy the NVA kit. You know you will end up with Cube's in the end don't you. :guiness;

Lotus Seven S

Thanks IPNIGHTLY.

Why was I banned from Audioflat? Well the chap with all those letters of the alphabet in his name in for me a random order, so I never could remember them (and still can't) was very disappointed with me, and he was quite convinced I was Trolling. I did not take this name calling very gently - and I think he lost all his arguments with me (my avatar was Zig over there, so you can check and see if I am right). I wasn't really banned, I was just sneakily excommunicated. And how do you do that? Well it appears, that you have to make at least one post every month otherwise you can't log on. One day over that month, I was refused log on and asked to contact the administrator, which I did. He never replied and he never opened the pearly gates.

No I don't know that, I will end with the cubes. If I knew that, I would never have started. But that is exactly the name of the game. Other people know things, you don't know yourself, and the wheels of business, love and marriage would all grind to a halt, if we did.

S.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Welcome aboard! I'd be most interested to hear of your impressions of the starter kit vs. your valve amp. Mine's an EL34 based job. We're literally moving house next week, otherwise I'd be in for the loan scheme to judge for myself.

Lotus Seven S

Thanks Simon - Got it (with regards to impressions)....

Just sold my reserve Class D amp with a Danish designed module (not Ice Power but Pascal). And the comparison is easy here. Dreadful. It was an exciting listen at the start, things were really cut from each other and very separate - but but but there were absolutely no harmonics. The price you pay I suppose for very low signal distortion. Wonderful to be got rid of it. My business slogan is: Buy Expensive. Sell Cheap. It was sold within five minutes!

S.

Simon Hickie

Lotus Seven S, are you by any chance a Prisoner aficionado? I was at Portmeirion last week for my regular pilgrimage (I have an annual season ticket). If you PM me, I'll send you a link to my Facebook Portmeirion album :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We have loads of the plates and things, full set of the flower ones, does that count.

Simon Hickie

Yes, I reckon so.