Other Kit

All general audio posts go here.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Other Kit

Unread post by kimangelis »

I presently use a Rega set-up with an Apollo player (used as a transport), with a Brio DAC. It's always performed well and it sort-of 'fits' with the NVA boxes. However, I'm thinking about swapping this out for a Primare unit as there are several very good deals (about half-price) for a unit that matches my tuner. I'm not ruled by aesthetics but I do consider it.... Hence I never bought a Sugden.

The Rega is smooth, refined and (with the DAC) does everything I want it to. Without the DAC it's a bit coarse with some playback. However it is quite elderly and things have moved on since I bought this combo. There seems to be a number of offerings for the Primare CD22 player. Given the outlet is relatively close I might just toddle-up there and do a compare with my Rega kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primare-CD22 ... 0xbr7XNyYw

Anyone had any experience of this as a CD player?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Re: Other Kit

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Sorry never knowingly heard that particular CD player.

I had a Rega Planet years ago which I liked a lot. However I moved to Meridian 506.24 which I also liked but it started to skip occasionally and as I am stictly not techie I moved it on and bought a Cambridge CXC.

Digital is not my main source (which is vinyl ) but to be honest with a fairly mundane Teac £150 DAC the Cambridge sounds lovely but its a big bugger (god knows why I am sure there is nothing but fresh air in it) so not easy to accomodate but certaily worth a listen if you get a chance.

Andy

And that's the trouble with this sort of thread, nobody can offer much advise about your selected player, but we can all recommend something else which you were probably never going to consider anyway LOL ...........such are forums I suppose.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Of course you could always change your Brio dac. I have never heard the Apollo but by all accounts it`s a decent transport. I would still go and compare with the Primare though.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I'll second the vote for the Cambridge CXC, if you are just using a CD player as a transport with digital output to a standalone DAC then you don't need to lay out extra cash for a player with analogue output. Most high-end transports are more expensive but the CXC gives you a top-notch drive mechanism (for CD only, no SACD or DVD), their in-house-designed S3 servo-control and a hefty power supply - which is all you need (with a remote control as well).

Having used several CD players as transports (Arcam, Kenwood, NAD), the CXC comes out as way better and can hold its own against a good file-based digital source.

Cambridge CXC sales blurb

Edit: Richer Sounds have it for 300 pounds - which is half the price of the discounted Primare player. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Now you're asking the question Fretless, which is better to upgrade, the transport or dac. :lol:

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Thank you for your responses. I don't wish to consider the Cambridge as what I have already is a very good spinner/player in the Apollo. Plus I would have to retain the Brio DAC. My intention (as always) is to get the best sound quality for the money. I will probably be able to sell the Apollo and Brio for a price that would buy the Primare. Assuming the Primare SQ is fine (I've booked a comparison) then I get a new CD player for the price of a second-hand one. I wouldn't consider the Primare at full price (circa £1K) but it's available at about £600.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Looking forward to your impressions of the Primare / Rega comparison. Certainly as a standalone CD player for that asking price, the Primare could turn out to be an excellent bargain.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest