Harbeth video.

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Harbeth video.

Unread post by savvypaul »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:39 pm Maybe they don't need to, at least not on my account ;) I know how good the Cubes can be in the right environment, and I remember my intense disappointment when the Harbeth SHL5's took up residence here for a few days - the sound wasn't ANYTHING like the BC2's and actually, neither are 'BBC Speakers' as such, as it was only the BC1 which the BBC bought for themselves (a few hundred pairs I understand) as general noise-boxes and Spendor paid the Beeb a royalty on every pair sold retail I understand.

No more to say. The vibe here is definitely anti the 'BBC ideal' and as most of these vintage speakers designs seem to be bought by far eastern and US customers with large rooms (so the speakers can be used out away from walls and floors) and probably timber framed as well (to absorb more bass), the few pairs that sell over here don't really count for much to be honest.

Valve amp and Harbeths? A lot of rich clients do this, but the Doc is quite right about the output transformers these things have stuck on their rear ends. Higher output impedance often, bass distortion when they saturate and the response of a Harbeth type load will be significantly altered (worst offenders are the likes of Prima Luna), yet despite this, Stereophile reviewers seem to love them. Nah, just stick to a lovely sounding NVA amp and stick to modern, better sorted speakers that let the music out more easily.
The Harbeths were better than the spitty, chuffing towers that most dealers seemed to be pushing.

If I hadn't heard the Cubes I guess I might still have the Harbeths...but the Cubes are way, way better to my ears.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I'm not very keen on these kind of videos. Find them rather ''staged'' and fake as fucking hell.

Alan Shaw.....Hmmmm, I wouldn't be happy having lunch with him.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

People should look at how he acquired the company from a sad old man in his 70's.

He arrived at his workshop as a bright young rep / salesman try to sell to him, found him asleep in front of a gas fire and saw an opportunity, and groomed him to get the company. Loudspeaker designer my arse, apart from over the years he should / must have had some reality rub off on him, but his forum and his statements say no.

The fact that some of his products are thought of as good is because of the crap he is up against.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Hifinutt has been plugging the Harbeth video on both AOS and PFM. It seems it is not only PFPs arse he is licking.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc