Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

Unread post by karatestu »

I read a comment from gromit on waswam that was singing the praises of the NVA turntable. I was expecting a DD but it has a belt and suspension? Oh no another table i might have to buy.

Not picking Les's PT1 up until January. Can't wait and meeting Les again will be a real pleasure. A more down to earth Yorkshire man you will never meet. I ended up staying all day last time i went over to Chesterfield. When i first met Les he wanted to know all about me and was very easy to meet, full of humour and love for the audio business. Also his under ground workshop is full of delights :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Yes Stu.

Les is a real Gent for sure he put me all night when I visited, he also took me out for a pub meal and a few pints. His basement workshop is the perfect oasis for a tech wizard isn't it?

Think I've mentioned it before TT suspension done right is not as major issue unlike the unstable Linn abortion which is a problem, (but not for Linn or their dealers of course), How they got around that was marketing and business brilliance - make out that it's a sensitive TT so our experts will set it up to sing and boy when they do and it hits the spot, it's still a fair bit below the best (oops let that out of the bag, Ivor will sack me now).

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Talking to my case maker yesterday. He used to do all Pink Triangles acrylic work back in the early 90's. He said he was selling over 50 TT per month back then, so not small beer, just no where near what Linn were doing. I spoke to him about your project and he would be happy to help in any way.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

That's great Doc thank you very much..

I will be in ouch with you after this Xmas period.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Been reading lots of pink related stuff on the forums over the festive period.

It would seem the Alphason HR100S is a match made in heaven with the PT1. Les made an excellent choice there :dance: The linn Asaka is still a bit of a mystery though :think:

The main problem with a PT1 except the fragile bearing, is the power supply. Well it seems Les has addressed this too with the Avondale psu he made for it. Not sure what is in the case but I will have a look when I have picked it up. Probably a big ass transformer, rectifier and smoothing caps. I think the motor controller circuitry in the deck already has a regulator but not sure. Some people do have more than one level of regulation though.

People say the new Funk motor and controlling circuitry is better. Don't know about that but to buy a K drive, motor and vector kit is silly money. :naughty:

I guess the only way to modify this thing (not sure I ever will) is to put the motor on the subchassis and move it to the 7 0'clock position. Oh, and put another belt over the top of the first :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the PT, should be soon I guess. :grin:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I remember the Asaka being the Asak internals in a posher new body which looked like the more expensive Karma. Sensitively rebuilt-retipped, I think it could be a great cartridge, but my subjective memories of it are coloured by the fruitbox-era LP12's we set them up in and at the time, the Karma had a more musical 'flow' in the LP12-ittok of the early to mid 80's. The Alphason should happily accept almost anything out there within reason, so it'll never be a bottleneck and the Asaka may well come into its own on the deck it's coming with.

Goldring were used to re-tip and rebuild Linn cartridges of this period I recall and they did a fantastic job on a couple of Troika's I remember (so do ESCo from personal experience, but it's the Goldring updated ones I heard not too long ago and they were brought to life better than new to my ears).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

eagwok33

Unread post by eagwok33 »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:32 pm Been reading lots of pink related stuff on the forums over the festive period.

It would seem the Alphason HR100S is a match made in heaven with the PT1. Les made an excellent choice there :dance: The linn Asaka is still a bit of a mystery though :think:

The main problem with a PT1 except the fragile bearing, is the power supply. Well it seems Les has addressed this too with the Avondale psu he made for it. Not sure what is in the case but I will have a look when I have picked it up. Probably a big ass transformer, rectifier and smoothing caps. I think the motor controller circuitry in the deck already has a regulator but not sure. Some people do have more than one level of regulation though.

People say the new Funk motor and controlling circuitry is better. Don't know about that but to buy a K drive, motor and vector kit is silly money. :naughty:

I guess the only way to modify this thing (not sure I ever will) is to put the motor on the subchassis and move it to the 7 0'clock position. Oh, and put another belt over the top of the first :grin:
Hi Stu,
How is your Pink Triangle project going? Did you make progress? Did you listen to the Asaka cartridge in the meantime?

By the way, today I ordered two more replacement belts for the LP12 (non original Linn ones, as I don't want to make them richer! :lol:) and will then give Richard's double belt tip another go... Will report of course, how this works.
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

karatestu
Great Britain

Hello Norbert,

I have not picked it up yet as Les W who sold it to me has been rather poorly with heart trouble. He was in hospital for a week or two and i dont want to hassle him at the moment. I need to get it soon though.

Did you get thakker belts?
DIY FREE ZONE

eagwok33

Unread post by eagwok33 »

That is unfortunate, especially for Les W. I hope he will be better soon! Hope you can then in the near future pickup your PT1 from him. :-)

This time I took two Linn LP12 replacement belts from another German source (revox_de) on ebay for €25 incl. shipping. Hope the belts are good quality.
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink: