Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well if you know the seller, go give it a listen.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

i believe its les's own deck from avondale.
the docs heard the alphason on my rock 2,its a very good arm,£500 is about right for price.
if it was me id wait for a rock 2 to turn up but then i bias lol
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Yes, it is Les W's own deck. Comes with a psu that he built for it :grin: Lovingly cared for throughout it's life by Les.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

jayman67 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am i believe its les's own deck from avondale.
the docs heard the alphason on my rock 2,its a very good arm,£500 is about right for price.
Its been noted that your new Zeta purchase and your cartridge trials and tribulations have not been mentioned on this forum. WHY? :lol:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The problem with PT is build quality. If I was going for one I would look for an Anniversary. They do fetch a fair bit of money however. The Alphason arm is very sought after so that is the main attraction. Assume the cartridge is knackered and don't factor that into the price.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If its Les's it must be good, you are lucky he offered it to you - go for it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

PT's CAN sound excellent, but build spoiled it for me at the time and they DID get better as they went along I remember. No reason why a well cared for example shouldn't be as good or better than when new though and I trust Les W. The arm is one of the very best of its type although it doesn't *look* it although I'm not keen on the Asaka, which could probably be flogged for a few hundred, but in such a good arm on a deck lacking bass-bloat it may be absolutely fine ;)

P.S. A good PT was always better than a 1980's LP12 as long as the system wasn't set up and optimised specifically for the Linn (you older ones will know what I mean), but for me, it was the Voyd decks which perfected the materials and techniques I thought and the PT (Vector?) interpretation of the concept was possibly similar although I have little experience of this.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

antonio66 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:17 am
jayman67 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am i believe its les's own deck from avondale.
Its been noted that your new Zeta purchase and your cartridge trials and tribulations have not been mentioned on this forum. WHY? :lol:
where i post is none of your business :lol:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Beware of Zeta bearings* and a heavy, 'slow' kind of sound if not carefully matched. Good arm if you can get it right but I don't remember it being as light on it's feet as the Alphason, hence possible cartridge matching issues - I haven't been 'stalking you' on other forums so don't know the background?

Moth Marketing's Mike Harris, as well as being one of the very few outside of Rega with the proper jigs and tools to refurbish and re-wire their RB arms, also was an expert on sorting the Zeta. Just thought I'd mention it...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

cheers,
ive always liked the look of them dave and was offered one from the states,ive just paid the customs charges so it should be with me on tuesday.
i think it will be a better match for the decca c4e,being a heavier arm than the alphason.