KISS

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: KISS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

"Inductance is a property of an electrical conductor which opposes a change in current. It does that by storing and releasing energy from a magnetic field surrounding the conductor when current flows, according to Faraday's law of induction. When current rises, energy (as magnetic flux) is stored in the field, reducing the current and causing a drop in potential (i.e, a voltage) across the conductor; when current falls, energy is released from the field supplying current and causing a rise in potential across the conductor."

Now try and relate that to Naim speaker cable bollocks.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Why oh why was I so damned stupid to buy into the Naim and Linn BS - probably because friend had done so and I thought their systems "sounded" better than mine?

I then took a while out to read the good Docs philosophy in his interview given to Audio Arts magazine and I realised I was bloody foolish all those years ago so I slowly moved more and more NVA into my system..

I love Les W to bits and his product are really good but I think NVA has the edge on purity, naturalness and overall information retrieval. NVA certainly tells you a PL71 or a Technics DD is better (to my ears) than an LP12.

I also I find sibilance is less of an issue since I moved to the A20.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm Stop thinking Naim think, you will just get confused. Not a clue why they go on about inductance, it is high cap that kills unfiltered amps.

As far as I am concerned I want LOW everything L,C and R. and stupidity. Naim think was mostly bollocks as Les will tell you. Linn then copied it with even less understanding than Naim.
I grew up bodging naim amps and psu's. You will have to slowly beat it out of me. Already made a start but it seems there is still some beating to do.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

The capacitance of a pair of cables will increase as they get closer together, getting closer together will decrease the inductance (as the two fields will cancel) and spacing the cables further apart will decrease the capacitance, and the inductance will rise as the fields are not interactions. So yes they are bound together. However as Richard said, the inductance is of no importance, capacitance is what can upset amplifiers.

The inductor on the end of many amps is to ensure the amp sees an increasing (or at least constant) load with frequency. If they were driving into a capacitive cable the load will drop with frequency. Because most amp have the feedback loop from the output to the input and the feedback is in parallel with the load (main reasons many amps have higher distortion into 4R instead of 8R, the level of feedback is reduced), if the load is purely capacitive, the reducing load with frequency reduces the amount of feedback tending to make the amp unstable. The inductor prevents this, making the load look resistive at high frequencies.

There is a more complex version of this involving complex (or polar) numbers, but the above gives the general idea.

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for your considered reply Nick. That makes sense even to me.

Alfi - Les' new amplifier design has a fully complimentary output stage unlike ncc200 which are quasi comlimentary like the naim offerings. However it still has input filtering, zobel and output inductor. Many amps have them , i presume to make them fool proof in use.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Today I have removed the signal 0V link to mains earth in my Naim CD player (took a nut off and released the connector from the chassis).

This was the only signal 0V to mains safety earth link in the system so now there isn't one.

Naim reckon this is done for sonic reasons :think: I am listening now and I do not detect any drop in performance. Currently assessing whether there is any lift in performance. :think:

Obviously if a conductor with 240 Vac now touches anything on the board then it will be live and unearthed.
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm Obviously if a conductor with 240 Vac now touches anything on the board then it will be live and unearthed.
Realistically, how likely is that?

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm
karatestu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm Obviously if a conductor with 240 Vac now touches anything on the board then it will be live and unearthed.
Realistically, how likely is that?
Not very likely Geoff, especially if mains wiring is fastened down and not allowed to move if a connection breaks for any reason.

What if a fault led to the whole power supply going short circuit, including the transformer ? (if that could even happen)

Listening to the system without signal 0V to mains safety earth has led me to believe that there is not much difference. A couple of CD's ago I thought I heard some vocals way out past the limits of the usual soundstage that I had not heard before. I am listening hard and there are little things here and there which are different.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The main reason to do it is mains Ov / earth is not always, and can inject noise from a potential. This is why some people create a true earth. Very important for Radio Hams in the old days, maybe even now.

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 pm The main reason to do it is mains Ov / earth is not always, and can inject noise from a potential. This is why some people create a true earth. Very important for Radio Hams in the old days, maybe even now.
So do you think I am daft to remove it ?
DIY FREE ZONE