How loud do you guys listen?

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: How loud do you guys listen?

Unread post by CN211276 »

Since my system has been NVA I have found that I am listening at lower mean levels than previously. However peaks are just the same or louder.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Cheers for the clarification, savvypaul. That's exactly what I was wondering.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:41 am I don't understand the question. Half watt is half watt, it wont go to one watt.

There is a basic misunderstanding, I have written about it many many times here. It is very simple "loudness" is a factor of distortion not power. For the opposite of that half watt radio, if I had an old Tresham SR402 in bridged mode into 4 ohms it would be giving over 1k watts before it went loud in itself, but your ears would go loud (go into distortion) due to bone whip and your ears would be bleeding.
I think you misunderstood my question. When I am listening to my A60 and it is giving out one watt and I turn the volume up and it's giving out 2 watts, is it still only using the same power?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sorry but still doesn't make sense. What do you mean by using power. It is the speaker that uses power and the amp that gives it. The power an amp uses is what it draws from the mains.

With a Class A amp the power drawn from the mains will be the same no matter how much it gives to the speaker. A Class B they will be relative to each other. Class AB a bit of both depending on how much quiescent current is given to the output stage.

It is never as easy as you think !!

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

With a Class A amp the power drawn from the mains will be the same no matter how much it gives to the speaker. A Class B they will be relative to each other. Class AB a bit of both depending on how much quiescent current is given to the output stage.

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.