mains block and equipment cable

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

mains block and equipment cable

Unread post by jayman67 »

i started this thread on AOS,perhaps we can discuss here too.
id like to upgrade my cheap no frills extension block so ive been doing some reading up,this has also got me thinking about getting some better quality equipment mains cable too.
i was thinking of using Belden 19364 for the mains cable,i was also thinking of making my own mains block but ive been offered some that are so cheap it doesn't make making one cost effective.
also my stuff is not moved around or un plugged so what would be wrong with using a junction box?
im braced and behind the sofa so im ready for your comments :grin:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: mains block amd eqipment cable

Unread post by savvypaul »

I used to have a Russ Andrews Powerblock, Superfilter. Mega clamp, Reference Powerkord.

I now have NVA BMU and a Mark Grant mains block (captive lead, unswitched, no filters, chokes or lights). Way, way better for the music than the RA kit. Next step is to have a dedicated radial installed (once I find the right electrician).

If you can get a loan of the BMU...you might find that your no frills extension (plugged into the BMU) is not the limiting factor that you may think.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I've seen very little discussion on HFS re. mains cables & blocks unlike on other fora where they would have you believe that this or that mains cable can make a tremendous difference. I've used Belden 19364 before and it's OK. Some people suggest that mains cable shielding is a load of baloney though, especially given the current involved. I brewed my own with tightly twisted positive & neutral wires with the earth wire loosely twisted in the other direction. I use the same for the amp too.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

In various houses, I've put in a dedicated spur using 30 amp (cooker) cable and I've played around with mains blocks with 'oversized' flex. They made a small (miniscule) improvement.

When I got the BMU, I plugged one side of the stereo into the BMU and left the other on mains. The difference in the channels was immediately apparent. Rather like the HD/4k demos you see on TVS in the shops. The side with the BMU on it was so much clearer.

That's probably why there is so little discussion of mains cable on this forum. :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I suspect that one could spend many hundreds of pounds or more on fancy mains cables and gadgets which would offer rather less than than £500 on a BMU. I don't have one, but can see the potential benefits.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hard wiring is always better than plugs, if you don't have to change sockets or move things around, and cheap. Any mains block will make things worse, they cannot make things better, filters, trips, fuses, and other bollocks make things worse again. Only two things make things better Balanced Mains and Regenerated Mains, they are different in benefits and both good. Obviously my opinion is the NVA BMU is the best (and cheaper).

Regarding mains supply Radial is much better and safer than a Ring. With Radial you don't need fuses and can avoid the fecking awful UK 13 amp mains plug and use Schuko or even better BS546 15amp.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I'm using a no frills mains block, I do not have the room for a BMU. I did go for the loan BMU when staying at my brothers, but it made no difference over his RA block in his flat so best try before you buy. Go for any of the blocks that keep it simple. How many sockets do you require Jayman? On the mains cable, I have heard a few very expensive ones, I think the Doc is correct, a decent cable hard wired.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

i was going to plug the amp into the wall socket which leaves 3 plugs on the extension block.
if keeping it simple with nothing in line is best im liking the junction box idea.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

alfer

Re: mains block and equipment cable

Unread post by alfer »

If you still feel the urge to try Tachima - I found it throttled the amps dynamics. Ended up putting computers and power units for phones on it so they did not pollute the strangely problem free supply I enjoy. Could not get Mr Mains Cables products to do what others raved about.

There is an interesting chat/thread on WasWam about The Need for Power Conditioning - worth a read.

As ever beware of Ovine behaviour and thinking.
AtoZ

Alfi
Wales

Re: mains block and equipment cable

Unread post by Alfi »

Interesting article....?

http://www.equitech.com/articles/bpng.html

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.