Upgrade

All general audio posts go here.
kellerist
Hungary

Upgrade

Unread post by kellerist »

I just started to upgrade my stuff (marantz dv12s1-ssc-nva ap50-ls3-Tannoy 638). I'm done with the source (synology nas-auralic aries-audioquest diamond usb-chord 2qute), it seems that I didn't made any big mistake, the improvement is huge.
Now I would take gladly and with open ears any advice regarding the amplifier(s). My first thought was ssp-p90sa-ssp-a80-ls6. My problem is with this setup, that it's interfering somehow in my mind with the keep it simple theory. Especially if you consider that I use only one source, so there is no need for an input selector, just a volume control. To make life more complicated, I realized that there are more possibilities than listed on ebay. Still p90sa but without the input selector? Lots of spece and interconnects for a nearly empty box? Is it possible to build the volume control in the monoblocks somehow? An ap80 without input selector? It's not listed in the price list now, but maybe an integrated statement without input selector? Some 3rd party solution (sorry)? I'm all ears...

kellerist
Hungary

Re: Upgrade

I mean 3rd party solution for the volume control. The amplifier will be nva. I was always happy with my ap50, but now I'm amazed about the improvement it was able to reveal. I hoped for much less, but I underestimated the amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The reason the larger power amps needs separate preamp is the built in power supplies which are large! they give off large fields, you do not want a stepped attenuator in close proximity as it will cause hum and buzz and mess with the music.

The *ultimate* solution would be a TCS (the control statement) built with only one input and output and a pair of TDS (the definitive statement) power amps. Interconnects TIS and speaker cable TSCS.

Cost will be less for TCS as only one input so £1000, TDS £6600 and cables depend on length but probably a couple of thousand pounds. Work it out from https://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic. ... 93#p164493

Less expensive solutions, then tell me how much money is available.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I've pondered this. Even tried removing the passive pre-amp entirely and relying on software to control volume. So, I really only need two inputs (but Vinyl little used) BUT I need more than one set of outputs. The NVA main series preamps all have three sets of outputs so you can multi-amp.

The pre-amp is made to suit a number of different configurations (hence the number of inputs and outputs) and there is, so far as I can tell, very little to be gained by further simplification (you'll have one more set of soldered joints and maybe a little more space).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

kellerist
Hungary

Thanks for the fast replies! Ok, I should keep the preamp. There is one more thing disturbing me about them. The p90 and the tcs have 2 volume controls. Why? I know myself, I will be out of my mind to set the same volume for the channels. Or is it simple, just there is something I don't know?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just count the steps as you turn them up if it worries you. I always set it by ear. P90 gives you a balance and improves sound stage by avoiding crosstalk in the switch.

kellerist
Hungary

To answer the financial question, I will be able to set the budget of the project at the beginning of february (my first thought about the cap is 5000). Until then I'm trying to collect enough info to make the right decision. I'm not really a buy-use-give it back type, prefer to think in advance.

kellerist
Hungary

Is there a sa in the tcs also?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Of course, much more expensive and better ones.

kellerist
Hungary

Please, let me know your preference: tis-tcs-tis-tss or tis-tcs-tis-a80?
What about the Integrated statement I found in the archives?
I promise that I won't bombing you with questions until february!