Boring ?

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Boring ?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is it me, or are other forum just boring. They have tried to ban dissent, difference of opinion and disputes and in doing so have become mind numbingly dull.

Aos, wiggly and pfm are so dull I struggle to find something to read. Also there is the funny phenomena of old threads being resurrected so they can comment on something they read on hs.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Boring ?

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

It isn't just you, banning dissent very soon becomes banning difference and we can all have different opinions, the whole point of calling a form "Subjectivist" is that we are allowed to be different.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I think the 'boring' answer is...yes, many of the other forums are just boring.

They prioritise superficial chumminess over learning and stimulation.

Meh...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

Hifi Fora have existed quite a number of years now. This must mean, that we already have said, what can be said about hifi'y things. It does get boring to read, what we have already read a number to times before. And it is quite difficult to say something new, whilst everything was new, when the internet was young.

Of course fora do meet other needs than just the communication of information. It is nice to share a cup of coffee with people who have the same interests - and it keeps the fires burning (or the virus contagious).

There is of course the old cartoon, which said: Everyone on the internet is a dog. Or at least you never know if it is a dog. And this gives plenty of room for conflict. Conflict can be fun (i.e. not boring), but it almost always results in someone or other getting hurt.

So Hifi fora do not always centre on hifi (X is not always about X, hut sometimes Y or Z).... And here things can get slippery, moronic or even dull. And almost always useless.

The older I get the less I like conflict. And surely there is room for all sorts of viewpoints. We don't have to agree. We are after all just listening to tunes.
I am not a number. I am a free man

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Also far too many ‘click bait’ threads like “What did you eat last summer” ? WTF

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hi-Fi Forums are full of cliques, in crowds, shill gangs, etc. The most famous was the in crowd that took over the old Wigwam, when it was taken over and they didn't like the new owner they went off and formed their own forum, Audio Abattoir, really as a comment on the death of hi-fi. They largely just play together and get very few new members, there is even an *in* way of posting, anyone not complying is abused. Down to less significant groups like the Scottish Mafia at AoS, just a group of mates local too each other who always stick up for each other and have private little get togethers. I suppose it is human nature. I got conflict because I bowed to none of them, showed them no undeserved respect, told them what was real - they really didn't like it, so I became the enemy. Things move on, the attack tag team from PFM create their own forum in AudioFart, so it carries on there. The owner of that forum is then made head mod at PFM, so just continues the process.

I am willing to declare peace with anyone, even Marco (but I doubt it would last as he will motivate more pisstake - bound to happen), all it needs is to declare *day one* start a fresh and don't refer to the past, and don't create any more conflict that has to be responded to. The instigator of that thread at AudioFart SQ (whatever) says I wont allow him to speak here. Well he was, he joined a few months back and was offered peace, all he had to do was let go of the past. If he did it so would I. First post is "I stand by everything I said in the past" so my *obvious* reaction is "well so do I then, sod off!"

Another example is when I tried to join Audio Abattoir to find out why a couple of them kept going on about NVA being a fire risk, and to try and kick that meme into the dust. The owner wouldn't let me, called me "a shit flinging Gibbon" :lol: at least that was funny.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm Is it me, or are other forum just boring.
It's you.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The root of the problem with UK forums is that they are dominated by the remnants of the flat earth from 30 years ago. Dissenting voices are either banned or accused of being trolls, e.g. The Waswam 10th anniversary thread on PFM.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

joe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm Is it me, or are other forum just boring.
It's you.
Erm it seems like you are the odd one out.

Lotus Seven S
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

I think there is another reason, why talking about hifi can be boring.

Listening to our music can often be very satisfying, so we are probably releasing lots of endorphins and such like. This is so pleasant that we have to repeat the performance - and repeat the repetition.

But here comes a little design error in our brains: We have the ability to make complex equivalents between all sorts of different things. We can for example see rabbits and tigers and almost anything else in the clouds in the sky. One word can remind us of something completely different. Now I think this very pleasant experience (being showered by endorphins) can remind us of something else: Reaching out for the ineffable. Our hifi thus becomes a portal to the ineffable.

And this in turn becomes complexly equated with getting in touch with something non-human. We are not just on a higher ground, but we are in touch with a higher power - even whilst listening to OZZY Osbourne.

My way of getting in touch with a higher power becomes something important and also sacred to me. I don't really want your way of getting a higher fix to some other higher power. I want may way and my power. There is after all only one God. So I also want you to have it my way.

In other words we are going to get the equivalent of crusades on hifi fora. Death to the infidels and all.

Now that is BORING.
I am not a number. I am a free man