Boring ?

All general audio posts go here.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boring ?

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm
joe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm Is it me, or are other forum just boring.
It's you.
Erm it seems like you are the odd one out.
I'm not afraid of being in the minority.

Boredom is in any case surely in the mind of the beholder. Presumably those contributing to the myriad of discussions on other forums don't consider them boring, otherwise they'd be doing something less boring instead. Unless, like the chap in 'Catch-22', they want to make their lives as boring as possible so it'll feel like they've lived longer.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You are such a contrarian. For the sake of it, is no justification

Lotus Seven S
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

I talked about "Complex Equivalents" yesterday (seeing rabbits in the clouds etc).

Well, I've got another example. I wasn't sure if it was, but now I am.

The picture at the bottom of the page here

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&start=10

The responses on page three have now convinced me.

In a sense this is the opposite of boring - cos it is high powered communication - like a magician's rabbit shaken out of his sleeve.

i) Why is there a picture of this adhesive (when it is admitted that it is so mundane)?

ii) Why is it so big?

iii) And what is the picture communicating (whilst denying that it is communicating anything but itself)?

That isn't boring. But it is childish, churlish and dangerous. (In my opinion.) Though of course others might think it is elegant.

You Are Nobody When It Can Be Denied
I am not a number. I am a free man

joe

Unread post by joe »

'Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar', as Freud is reputed to have said.

Lotus Seven S

'Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'
Yes it is; and sometimes it isn't.

Remember Bill Clinton.

And Freud was not an impartial observer on this point. He was obfuscating his own needs and desires, at least according to his own theory of other people. Though of course not himself.

Which is the deniability bit again.

Ceci n'est pas une cigare!

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Hi-fi forums are at their most interesting when there's conflict.
Or humour. Or both. Preferably both. :violence-axechase: :violence-duel: :violence-hammer: :violence-instagib: :violence-smack: :violence-stickwhack: :violence-swords: :violence-torch:

Lotus Seven S

Hi-fi forums are at their most interesting when there's conflict.
Or humour. Or both. Preferably both. :violence-axechase: :violence-duel: :violence-hammer: :violence-instagib: :violence-smack: :violence-stickwhack: :violence-swords: :violence-torch:
I think I understand, where you are coming from, but feel a need to disagree.

I really do believe that conflict is inefficient - in other words a waste of time and energy. I am going to try to explain why (it is here where DQ calls me "moronic and boring" - but as the Blues Brothers would say, "I've seen the light").

I am going to define conflict as : Violent Disagreement. And violence leads well to violence. But let's start at the beginning.

We all have our presuppositions and our prejudices and all those things we take for granted. I am going to call those Our Priors. And I am going to assume that no two people share the same Priors. Of course there can be overlaps - but I think we would be astounded at how very little there actually is overlapped even in the same culture (or sub-culture). A corollary to my assumption is that no sentence is going to mean the same thing to two different people.

In other words disagreement is inevitable. If two people had exactly the same Priors (and wanted to continue to call themselves rational), then they could never disagree because the would use the information on their differences to eradicate their differences - either meeting somewhere in the middle or one of them capitulating. BUT no one shares the same Priors and no one is rational (though some do want to be called rational).

And this must mean that no two people can ever reach full agreement - because no one gives up their Priors without a fight - and even when the fight is lost - no one really gives up their Priors - they just go underground.

So it is futile to try to convince someone that they are in the wrong. The idea that "All your base are belong to us" is just plain wrong.

An active disagreement can be a fine way to clarify our thinking (or cloud it depending on our motivation), and it can also be a fine way to marvel at how other people think the world works. But it can not be used to change minds. And shouting the same words don't really help either.

And it is here where another of DQ's fine words come into play. Social Courtesy. That's what reduces all the friction between antagonistic Priors. There is never really Obedience, Compliance or Belief when violence is used. There is just the deadning by social courtesy.

I know, this can easily be accused of being Homo Hypocriticus. So be it. We do not own our own brains. And thus it is daft to fight and daft to watch fighting as it can only be "A tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If you were right then politics wouldn't exist, argument and conflict CAN lead to compromise otherwise we wouldn't be governed. And anyway the way you describe is covered by debating laws, some of which like ad hominem and ad nauseam we apply here, and we are the only forum to do the first one. This keeps internal conflict down here, but seems to accelerate external conflict about us.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

Lotus Seven S

If you were right then politics wouldn't exist
No, I think politics exist exactly because we are by nature pre-ordained warriors - but this wonderful human invention of "Institutions" relieves us of the need to draw the sword. We delegate all this "dealing" to our politicians (and our other institutions that just get on with the job) whilst we can enjoy a quiet pint down the local. We allow ourselves to be governed because we are lazy (and it is efficient though freedom reducing). Compromise is always a DEAL - something for something - a win/win situation - and never the result of logical argument.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The alternative is anarchy. I must admit I am a bit of an anarchist. I think we have gone too far, a bit of anarchy now and then does us good, it opens possibilities and alternatives.