What Are Your Biases?

All general audio posts go here.
Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What Are Your Biases?

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

Hifihaven.org has had a good run with this question - so why not here?

Let's define Bias first. The quick definition is - A systematic mistake. Systematic because it is a tendency (or programme) that is repeated regardless of the earlier outcomes. But a Bias can also be something that is good and healthy - for example not smoking. Other definitions are of course welcome.

I'll give a couple of examples from my own hifi-life.

I don't like CD's. The jewel cases are plastic and ugly. The booklets are too small. I don't like watching the CD disappearing with the rattling tray into the machine. The sound of CD's is fine - but I just don't like the thing.

I don't like hi-res sound. I heard Pono - and I hated it. I have owned a DVD-A machine - but could only acquire three discs and then it went bankrupt. I have the same problem with high resolution vision - I am incapable of seeing the differences - and if I do see a difference, then I don't think it makes a difference. The story is the thing that captures our imagination not some high definition shadow, and similarly with the ultra definiton of shimmering cymbals - doesn't move me.

I can no longer read reviews in the magazines. Just lots of adjectives and cliches and blah blah blah. Good-for-the-money etc. Though I do like looking at pictures of home setups.

I can probably go on and on....but how about your Biases?
I am not a number. I am a free man

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: What Are Your Biases?

Unread post by savvypaul »

I think I have a bias against speaker ports. I hate the chuffing or booming sound that I can often detect. There may well be plenty of ported speakers that do not do this, but I am sceptical.

Is that a bias?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

They don't seem like biases (using your definition) they seem like sensible conclusions.

Lotus Seven S

Is that a bias?
Yes of course it is....many people love ports - but I share your bias. They don't work for me. (Though one did, once upon a time. But this hasn't changed my bias.)

I forgot my ultimate Bias.

And that is Streaming. I hate these services. I don't like their interfaces - it is all glimmer and too much choice and here today gone tomorrow. And I am convinced that they are destroying the creative fundament for musicians - because most of them do not get a realistic payment. And their music becomes wallpaper and almost completely indifferent. The music business has always been motivated by greed - but this time they are killing their own golden goose. Slowly but surely. But what a good financial idea. Everyone in the world sends you 10 dollars a month. Somebody is getting rich. But it ain't the musicians. And it isn't the consumer, because listening to music loses its meaning, when there is an over-abundance.

Lotus Seven S

They don't seem like biases (using your definition)
OK. Perhaps we need a better defintion Bias = A tendency to repeat regardless of outcome.

So sometimes they are sensible and sometimes they are not. But we just keep repeating them.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Turntables with some sort of integrated suspension. Absolute pain in the f**king arse.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Anything that dominated the industry during the Flat Earth take over. Any speaker company who thinks tying in with BBC design means good music, sadly mistaken.

joe

Unread post by joe »

I'm not sure about the definition being used here. The OED tells me that bias is 'An inclination, leaning, tendency, bent; a preponderating disposition or propensity; predisposition towards; predilection; prejudice', and not a mistake. The only bias/prejudice I can think of is not watching television during the daytime.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I was a bit confused but I thought I would join in.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Speakers & Headphones, that have bass boosted sound. Gives me a cloy feeling after listening for a short while.

I'm no Hi-Fi expert. But I do get irritated by some people. Who think they know MUCH MORE than the original designer. These types of fools like to tamper with their lovely amps/cd players. One prime example. Taking out the stock caps, and replacing them with so-called posh ones, and claim the results sounds a million miles better than before.

Another one that bugs me a little is ''golden ears''. Especially when some people go round the Hi-Fi community bragging how acute their hearing is! But fair enough we all hear differently, that I can understand!

Jesus, I'm not 30 yet and already turning into a grump :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.