The Flat Earth and parallel times

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

The Flat Earth and parallel times

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Back in the Flat Earth dominance of the industry the UK market, these companies didn't export that much relatively. In the early 80's the split uk v export was about 80 to 20 %. The export market was growing though as British hi-fi established more of a name and following and disposable income got higher (especially in the Far East). Prices were still reasonable, the slurp hadn't started.

I and a couple of other companies that were being denied access to the UK dealers (well the good ones who paid their bills) went almost entirely export to the point that in the early 90's I was 90% export.

Now the situation has reversed, the UK market has died and the export market has blossomed. So now we get the influence of the slurpers on prices, everyone wanting their margin (slurp), so prices have gone daft. A company has to keep retail prices the same all over the world, and they are having to give bigger and bigger margins to the distributors in export markets to force retain of market share. So not only 50% of price to retailers, but also 30% of price to distributors, leaving 20% for the manufacturer. So it is easy to do the sums, on top of that the most successful of the ex Flat Earth companies who's owners are getting old are just building pension pots. So you end up in the UK was stupidly over priced product for the small amount of UK business left, as it is no longer an important market.

So small companies for a small market mostly created by enthusiasts and audio designer, like the good old days are beginning to appear, but they still make the mistake of relying in retailers - it is simple folks, retailers are fickle crooked money slurpin knob heads largely, rely on them at your peril. We need more direct sellers. I make back over 80% of my retail prices over a year accounting for about 10 - 12% for ebay and paypal, and accounting for discounts (like black friday) and 2nd stocks, it should be obvious my prices are a fraction of the competition that does the now polluted traditional way to market. Obviously most of my 80% goes in costs and materials. Who gains = you!

Someone tell me where the future and the common sense lie, as because ebay is worldwide my split export v UK is now 50 / 50 (approx).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: The Flat Earth and parallel times

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/naim/1128239

I didn't think I was wrong in assuming Naim gained a Queens award for 'EXPORT' in the 80's. Can't remember if Linn did though at the time.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Percentage I said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The UK market back then was large, as you very well know.

Rectified
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Rectified »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/naim/1128239

I didn't think I was wrong in assuming Naim gained a Queens award for 'EXPORT' in the 80's. Can't remember if Linn did though at the time.
My old 'LP12' had a Design Centre label attached to the stainless top plate.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That was political and who you know (and bribed).

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

I remember when the Logic 'DM101' came out in the early 80s. I thought it looked amazing at the time. I already had a 'LP12' but had to have that Logic. The dealer tried every trick in the book to try talk me into buying an 'LP12' unawares i already owned one. Cut a long story short the '101' stayed, i did remove the Grace '707'/'F9E' from it & kept them back.

Chopsaw54

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Whenever I see, hear or think about Linn's Keel the Logic DM101 always comes to mind. They beat them to it by how many decades?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So many things were better than the Linn LP12, same as so many things were better than Naim amps. The whole thing was a giant con and brainwash, some are still stuck in it.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Just put a totally standard but very nice looking LP12 back into my system:- Lingo1, Cirkus, Ittok LVIII, DV20 after removing my bog standard PL71 with DL103/Sumiko head shell. After a month of enjoying the PL71 combo. My music is now as dull as ditchwater, but good to go to sleep to I suppose! I will keep it just to show clients how much better a 3rd party modded LP12 can be.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I remember the DV20 as dull and thick toned, so adding to the older LP12 dark tones. I can't discuss the wavering pitch - the Doc and I had a laugh about it last Saturday when I explained I never thought there was a problem with the LP12's pitch stability (even with brand new belt now costing fifty quid) until a, CD came along and more importantly b, when a pal set up a decent Garrard 301 which didn't do this - in comparison, the difference in pitch stability was clear as day.

I had a similar epiphany when I first heard a Notts Analogue Spacedeck, but I'm drifting.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...