Snake Oil

All general audio posts go here.
David Brook
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by David Brook »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm Could we be about to hold the world's first ever fuses bake-off?

;)
:happy-bouncygreen: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-wavemulticolor: :romance-grouphug:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: MCRU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

David Brook wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm Its a £130 major up-grade, if it was anything simple like a set of squash balls on a corian chopping board then it would be praised, the fact its a fuse causes many to poo poo it.
Because it is a fuse, do you know what a fuse is, well it is something designed to fuse, so if they all fuse (burn out) the same then they are all the same in function. So I think that what must be the reasoning behind this is that in circuit it doesn't interfere with the music / signal as much as a normal fuse. This may well be the case but some of your more eeediot-ic customers are claiming they are better than no fuse at all, reality says that is impossible and bonkers, what do you think about that?

By the way that price is entirely ludicrous. What is your percentage of the slurp, someone is really taking the piss over those prices. As logic dictates having no fuse costs nothing, and most of them are just belts and braces that engineer put in as a matter of course. They obviously didn't realise they were ruining their product by incorporating them, well I could have told them. No NVA product has a fuse as they are designed not to need them, so do you accept that is better than your fuses.

David Brook

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm
David Brook wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm Its a £130 major up-grade, if it was anything simple like a set of squash balls on a corian chopping board then it would be praised, the fact its a fuse causes many to poo poo it.
Because it is a fuse, do you know what a fuse is, well it is something designed to fuse, so if they all fuse (burn out) the same then they are all the same in function. So I think that what must be the reasoning behind this is that in circuit it doesn't interfere with the music / signal as much as a normal fuse. This may well be the case but some of you eeediot customers are claiming they are better than no fuse at all, reality says that is impossible and bonkers, what do you think about that?

By the way that price is entirely ludicrous. What is your percentage of the slurp, someone is really taking the piss over those prices. As logic dictates having no fuse costs nothing, and most of them are just belts and braces that engineer put in as a matter of course. They obviously didn't realise they were ruining their product by incorporating them, well I could have told them. No NVA product has a fuse as they are designed not to need them, so do you accept that is better than your fuses.
Chief they are not my fuses, as you must know 99% of the hifi industry is importer/distributer - dealer - customer

You sell direct so you are the exception along with many others. Most manufacturers though find it easier to not have to deal direct with end users, I wonder why?

That's the way its been for decades. Can't see it changing. SR make it and have their mark up, sell it to distributor he has his mark up, sell it to dealer he has his mark up. Small slice of the pie for each company, not a massive slurp by any means.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It has changed because of the internet - obviously. It is just the industry has to catch up with a bit of reality and stop believing the bullshit.

A 20mm 1amp glass fuse, which is a classic example of what is being replaced inside a product costs £0.32p, they also have makers mark up distributors mark up and retailer mark up. In this case Farnell.

I know your argument, same as you said for high priced mains leads, "if people want them I sell them". What I am trying to do is to tell people they don't need them.

David Brook

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm It has changed because of the internet - obviously. It is just the industry has to catch up with a bit of reality and stop believing the bullshit.

A 20mm 1amp glass fuse, which is a classic example of what is being replaced inside a product costs £0.32p, they also have makers mark up distributors mark up and retailer mark up. In this case Farnell.

I know your argument, same as you said for high priced mains leads, "if people want them I sell them". What I am trying to do is to tell people they don't need them.
Fair enough but we can buy what we want, whenever we want from who we want. Its a world full of doom and gloom Richard, if someone gets a bit of pleasure spending £130 on a fuse surely that's up to them?

I don't need an NVA phono 2 but I bought one. Why? Because it gave me immense pleasure listening to it at my bake off, after all why were we put on this planet? Life must be enjoyable sometimes or else why bother living?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They buy them and similar because they are under the influence of bullshit, that is one of the main reasons this forum exists - to counter it.

I will sell to anyone, retailers included and more power to you over the honesty of this reaction. No other retailer would, I present (not I as I am too small but my ideas) a serious danger so have to be put down. If I costed it as these fuses have been costed my Phono 2 would cost an end user £50,000 not £500 in standard form, would you still have bought it.

David Brook

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm They buy them and similar because they are under the influence of bullshit, that is one of the main reasons this forum exists - to counter it.

I will sell to anyone, retailers included and more power to you over the honesty of this reaction. No other retailer would, I present (not I as I am too small but my ideas) a serious danger so have to be put down. If I costed it as these fuses have been costed my Phono 2 would cost an end user £50,000 not £500 in standard form, would you still have bought it.
I don't have £50,000 to spare on buying hi-fi. All my money is tied up in stocks of fuses........... :grin:
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

:lol: :lol:

Good luck :whistle:

I will make something for you to sell that will be better than any fuse you sell. A polished copper bar to replace the fuse. As it will be the best music I will set the retail price at £200, £100 for the retailer.

Let me know how many you want.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I forgot it should be plated with some sort of bullshit. Siver plated ones £250, gold plated £300, Rhodium plated £350 - a bargain

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm I forgot it should be plated with some sort of bullshit. Siver plated ones £250, gold plated £300, Rhodium plated £350 - a bargain
Now you're getting the idea...and put it in a satin lined wedding ring box with a 14 page instruction manual and user reviews.

:-? Feckin hard work, this bullshit lark...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/