Snake Oil

All general audio posts go here.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
User avatar
David Brook
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm
Austria

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by David Brook » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm

savvypaul wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm
Could we be about to hold the world's first ever fuses bake-off?

;)
:happy-bouncygreen: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-wavemulticolor: :romance-grouphug:
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 27196
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

David Brook wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm
Its a £130 major up-grade, if it was anything simple like a set of squash balls on a corian chopping board then it would be praised, the fact its a fuse causes many to poo poo it.
Because it is a fuse, do you know what a fuse is, well it is something designed to fuse, so if they all fuse (burn out) the same then they are all the same in function. So I think that what must be the reasoning behind this is that in circuit it doesn't interfere with the music / signal as much as a normal fuse. This may well be the case but some of your more eeediot-ic customers are claiming they are better than no fuse at all, reality says that is impossible and bonkers, what do you think about that?

By the way that price is entirely ludicrous. What is your percentage of the slurp, someone is really taking the piss over those prices. As logic dictates having no fuse costs nothing, and most of them are just belts and braces that engineer put in as a matter of course. They obviously didn't realise they were ruining their product by incorporating them, well I could have told them. No NVA product has a fuse as they are designed not to need them, so do you accept that is better than your fuses.

User avatar
David Brook
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm
Austria

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by David Brook » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm
David Brook wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm
Its a £130 major up-grade, if it was anything simple like a set of squash balls on a corian chopping board then it would be praised, the fact its a fuse causes many to poo poo it.
Because it is a fuse, do you know what a fuse is, well it is something designed to fuse, so if they all fuse (burn out) the same then they are all the same in function. So I think that what must be the reasoning behind this is that in circuit it doesn't interfere with the music / signal as much as a normal fuse. This may well be the case but some of you eeediot customers are claiming they are better than no fuse at all, reality says that is impossible and bonkers, what do you think about that?

By the way that price is entirely ludicrous. What is your percentage of the slurp, someone is really taking the piss over those prices. As logic dictates having no fuse costs nothing, and most of them are just belts and braces that engineer put in as a matter of course. They obviously didn't realise they were ruining their product by incorporating them, well I could have told them. No NVA product has a fuse as they are designed not to need them, so do you accept that is better than your fuses.
Chief they are not my fuses, as you must know 99% of the hifi industry is importer/distributer - dealer - customer

You sell direct so you are the exception along with many others. Most manufacturers though find it easier to not have to deal direct with end users, I wonder why?

That's the way its been for decades. Can't see it changing. SR make it and have their mark up, sell it to distributor he has his mark up, sell it to dealer he has his mark up. Small slice of the pie for each company, not a massive slurp by any means.
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 27196
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm

It has changed because of the internet - obviously. It is just the industry has to catch up with a bit of reality and stop believing the bullshit.

A 20mm 1amp glass fuse, which is a classic example of what is being replaced inside a product costs £0.32p, they also have makers mark up distributors mark up and retailer mark up. In this case Farnell.

I know your argument, same as you said for high priced mains leads, "if people want them I sell them". What I am trying to do is to tell people they don't need them.

User avatar
David Brook
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm
Austria

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by David Brook » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 pm
It has changed because of the internet - obviously. It is just the industry has to catch up with a bit of reality and stop believing the bullshit.

A 20mm 1amp glass fuse, which is a classic example of what is being replaced inside a product costs £0.32p, they also have makers mark up distributors mark up and retailer mark up. In this case Farnell.

I know your argument, same as you said for high priced mains leads, "if people want them I sell them". What I am trying to do is to tell people they don't need them.
Fair enough but we can buy what we want, whenever we want from who we want. Its a world full of doom and gloom Richard, if someone gets a bit of pleasure spending £130 on a fuse surely that's up to them?

I don't need an NVA phono 2 but I bought one. Why? Because it gave me immense pleasure listening to it at my bake off, after all why were we put on this planet? Life must be enjoyable sometimes or else why bother living?
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 27196
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm

They buy them and similar because they are under the influence of bullshit, that is one of the main reasons this forum exists - to counter it.

I will sell to anyone, retailers included and more power to you over the honesty of this reaction. No other retailer would, I present (not I as I am too small but my ideas) a serious danger so have to be put down. If I costed it as these fuses have been costed my Phono 2 would cost an end user £50,000 not £500 in standard form, would you still have bought it.

User avatar
David Brook
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm
Austria

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by David Brook » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm
They buy them and similar because they are under the influence of bullshit, that is one of the main reasons this forum exists - to counter it.

I will sell to anyone, retailers included and more power to you over the honesty of this reaction. No other retailer would, I present (not I as I am too small but my ideas) a serious danger so have to be put down. If I costed it as these fuses have been costed my Phono 2 would cost an end user £50,000 not £500 in standard form, would you still have bought it.
I don't have £50,000 to spare on buying hi-fi. All my money is tied up in stocks of fuses........... :grin:
Big Vern Prototype Turntable| NWA DH3 Cart | CAD DAC | Fidata Music Server | Soulution 5 Series Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Series Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 27196
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 pm

:lol: :lol:

Good luck :whistle:

I will make something for you to sell that will be better than any fuse you sell. A polished copper bar to replace the fuse. As it will be the best music I will set the retail price at £200, £100 for the retailer.

Let me know how many you want.

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 27196
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I forgot it should be plated with some sort of bullshit. Siver plated ones £250, gold plated £300, Rhodium plated £350 - a bargain

User avatar
savvypaul
Posts: 1414
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:14 pm
Location: Durham
Great Britain

Re: Snake Oil

Unread post by savvypaul » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm
I forgot it should be plated with some sort of bullshit. Siver plated ones £250, gold plated £300, Rhodium plated £350 - a bargain
Now you're getting the idea...and put it in a satin lined wedding ring box with a 14 page instruction manual and user reviews.

:-? Feckin hard work, this bullshit lark...
"I can find my way home from Sierra Leone, but I'm lost without an inside pocket"

NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Post Reply