Wiring for a European turntable

All general audio posts go here.
spacejay
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wiring for a European turntable

Unread post by spacejay »

I have just bought a turntable from Germany and it came with a 2 prong plug. How do I rewire it (which would be to an IEC plug to slot into my regenerator) ie which is live and which is neutral (I have read that it doesn't matter) and what about earth wire, is there one? I haven't cut into it yet because I may have to send it back but if I don't am I going to find 2 or 3 wires?

And my other question is about earthing too - it seems to introduce some hum into the system so is there a way around this?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Wiring for a European turntable

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just get an adaptor and forget about it. Perfectly safe unless you want to give yourself a shock :mrgreen:

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Is the two prong plug moulded? Couldn't you just undo the screws and see the colour of the wires inside? If not, I guess you could check inside the turntable itself. What make is it? Also, has the tonearm got an earth wire attached?
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Depending on when it was made, the standard wiring colours for European cables are Brown = Live, Blue = Neutral and Earth = Green and Yellow.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

My first post here and I'm not trying to be funny but if you're having to ask I'd take the Doc's advice and leave it at that.....

spacejay
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by spacejay »

The turntable was made in 1979. The reason I ask is that on reading about these plugs it wasn't apparent what the colours actually were and as I haven't cut into it I don't know what is inside - I am aware of the present European colours and have wired the odd plug in my time as well as making a few psu's and dac's and other stuff. But it is probably less hassle to re-arrange the plugs and as I am quite lazy think I'll just do that.