Cartridge Set up Tools

All general audio posts go here.
Rectified
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cartridge Set up Tools

Unread post by Rectified »

Another band wagon the Snake oil crew like to jump onto.

However what do you use to align your Cartridge & apply Tracking force?

Nothing special with me cos you know why i do not need it.

'Metrosound' Balance i bought as new old stock around 1980 & a 'Tonar' cartridge Alignment Protractor

Last edited by Rectified on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Hickie

Re: Cartridge Set up Tools

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Free cartridge alignment tool from Popular Hifi decades ago plus Shure cartridge balance.

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

Ive still got a full set of Popular Hi-Fi mags. Big heavy mags

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have an alignment protractor and a balance but I haven't used them since about 1980

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I retain my Linn set up protractor (65mm null to centre distance but 'adjustable.' I also use the little Ortofon balance which is fine for basic checking, especially with the Garrards and very old Duals which aren't as accurate as the newer ones which are...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

davjam13
Great Britain

Unread post by davjam13 »

I was using an old Hifi world protractor and electronic scales and thought I had it right, I then bought a different turntable and couldn't get the antiskate right so I bought the HiFi news test lp and the difference was well worth the cost, it was like upgrading the cartridge.
Cleardio performance D.C.Turntable MCRU PSU Clearaudio Clarify arm Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony MM cartridge
Project cd box DS
pioneer vsx 531
interrconnects all Nva ssc
Nva ls3 biwire speaker cable
Linn Tukans front
monitor audio radius centre

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Bastin / Polaris protractor plus a few free with magazine ones including Townshend. Shure stylus balance and £20 or less chinese electronic job from ebay. Slurpers rebadge them and charge £80+. Also have an HFS 75 test record rarely used.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

mules

Unread post by mules »

I use a paper protractor from Vinylengine and a £7 Neoteck set of scales. I wouldn't mind a go on a Dr Feickert thingy, just to see how far out I am (or not).

mayebaza

Unread post by mayebaza »

I use an Avid Protractor for Rega Arms. It has a mirrored surface which helps to see what the canter lever is doing. A cheap set of spirit bubbles to level the plinth and RTA. £12 scales to set the cartridge weight. Remember fine tuning is always done by ear because cartridges are hand made and my differ slightly from the manufacturer's ideal settings.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I use the Dr Feickert set up tool, absolute breeze. Using an SME V makes it even easier as it basically just needs the spindle to pivot distance set and bob's yer uncle. The SME has a pretty accurate adjustment wheel on the side for VTF and more often than not I'll just set it with that. I checked it a couple of times with my digital scales and found that it's within next to nothing of accurate. I have a digital scale I got for subscribing to Hi-Fi News years ago, nice bit of kit actually.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: