Upgraded From My Ortofon Windfeld To This

All general audio posts go here.
Neonknight

Upgraded From My Ortofon Windfeld To This

Unread post by Neonknight »

I loved the Ortofon Windfeld. But I came across this opportunity and decided to go with it. The Windfeld got sold to a friend. And I mounted this on the DP 75 and Acos GST 801 arm. It sure is a gem, I am absolutely smitten with it.
A90.jpeg
A90.jpeg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 3539 times

Daniel Quinn

Re: Upgraded From My Ortofon Windfeld To This

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

it must surely have been used , how did you ensure it was okay ?

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Out of interest how much does a second hand Windfield go for?? Would love one on my turntable.

Neonknight

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm it must surely have been used , how did you ensure it was okay ?
I purchased it from a shop in Canada. They took it on trade from a well heeled customer who decided they needed an A95, since it was the current version and all. They inspected it, and sent it down I was told that I could evaluate it and send it back if unsatisfied with condition. With the exchange rate saving me another 20% of value, it was an attractive purchase. It cost me $1800 USD, and with the sale of the Windfeld $600 out of pocket.

The fellow I use for a retipper is only 1 hour from me. So whenever the time comes, it will go up there for a new diamond. But the A90 sold for $4400 here, so it is worth investing in.

Neonknight

Hemmo1969 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:00 pm Out of interest how much does a second hand Windfield go for?? Would love one on my turntable.
Sold mine for $1200

Daniel Quinn

at those prices I'm moving to canada

Daniel Quinn

at those prices I'm moving to canada

Neonknight

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 pm at those prices I'm moving to canada
Well it was $2200 CAD. Not sure what the MSRP of an A90 is in Canada. Historically the US dollar is worth about 8% more than the Canadian. However in the last couple of years it has been unbalanced in the US favor, so it makes shopping for small hi fi bits and pieces quite affordable or me. Actually my Windfeld came from Canada also, I bought it for $1050 including shipping and an Ortofon LMH6000 head shell. My retipper put it under a scope for me and the diamond showed no wear, so the 200 hour estimate on it looked to be accurate.

Actually I have been lucky. Bought that Technics SP10 MK II in the SH10B3 obsidian plinth and SAEC 407 arm for $2400 USD including shipping from Japan on Ebay. The obsidian bases are very hard to find in the US, as many do not survive shipping. It's one of those pieces that will keep climbing in value over the years, at least that is my opinion.