RACKS

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: RACKS

Unread post by CN211276 »

My rack must be nearly 40 years old. It is a solid wooden construction, Shriber if I remember correctly. The pre amp and mono blocks are a good distance apart. The turn table is at the top, out of toddler reach.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I have 2 alcoves, either side of the chimney breast. The right hand one has a cupboard built in and has all the crap connected to the TV ( telly box, ps4 ect and router)

The left hand one has a cupboard built in too, and is longer. This has the hifi crap in it. The balanced mains unit and the f5 amp are inside it, the 2 tt's and cdp on the top, and a small shelf above has the passive, the dac and the phono stages. All the stuff with big transformers is in the cupboard, all the sensitive stuff is at least a few feet away.
I dont have hum of any kind, and have never had hum on anything digital. Tbh im not entirely sure how folks get noise on the digital side.

The wife doesnt mind being able to see the tt's, they are aesthetically interesting. Not so the other buts and bobs. She is the reason that anything I build has to look nice.

She also does not like the 'altar to hifi' that the racks I used to have used to look like. (old target racks) Neither do i.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

This thread really does need photos, chaps...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Neonknight wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 am Never had a hum problem with my systems. In the past I used a couple of low boy racks from AV 123, but all that exposed hi fi gear is terribly unappealing. So when we moved into this house, I bought a Salamander Audio credenza rack. I ordered it with a pair of fans in the back panels to keep the amp cool if needed, but it rarely turns on, and only at the lowest speed.

In the Pacific Northwest we use a lot of hydro power, and the grid is very good here. I also use a PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator, along with heavily shielded power cords, and have not had noise issues. The only problem I had was with an old tone arm cable on an SAEC arm, and I replaced it and that solved the problem.

I like using the rack, as things look neat and tidy. It is a bit difficult to route interconnects through, but I don't move equipment much at all. It gives the room a more understated look than having a bunch of hi fi boxes on display, although I wish i could hide the turntables.
Fans- a good idea if things are getting a bit toasty. I fancy having a play with some pc cooling fans run at a very low dc voltage. Should be quiet enough.

My rack when finished (I prefer to call it a music centre :grin: ) is going to perform the function of case as well as support. Baltic birch plywood for the outer case and an inner skeleton made of wood. Plywood shelves spaced a foot apart which can be individually pulled out from the front or back. All four sides of this cabinet are going to have removable panels for servicing. No external cabling except mains leads and speaker cables.

Heat management is something I have thought long and hard about. I have copper heat sinks which get rid of heat a little bit faster than aluminium combined with ventilation and a chimney system to channel the heat out of the cabinet. Fans may well be the icing on the cake.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 am This thread really does need photos, chaps...
Right, you asked for it so I am going to hold you responsible for the rush of posts saying that they want one too :lol: . Pics are a bit crap mind you as mine usually are.

The music centre in most of it's glory. Don't forget this is a rough mock up not what it will be when finished. It will be constructed properly and have removable front and back for access. Does the job for my experimentation - easy access and spacing of components.

Turntable will go on top. CDP is next shelf down, preamp and then the bottom two shelves have 4 mono bloc power amps with some rather tasty toroids. During my experiments I needed space for another two mono bloc power amps which I housed on this delightful little coffee table to the left of the main rack. This was due to trying triamping and removing input coupling caps, zobel and output inductor. Worked a treat. Close up below of these additional power amps on the beautiful 1980's coffee table. And it has castors too - mobile hifi. Used some EI transformers on these - controversial.

Next up is a close up of my power amp shelves with twin power supplies for each mono bloc and a regulated front end. Notice the very neat wiring that I have accomplished, all the transformers are at the front and well away from sensitive circuitry.

I just spotted the international tractor sticker on the mains wall socket, stuck there by me in around 1978.

Next up with the music centre's top removed is a pic of the much abused cd player. Yes, all of this lot is connected and makes up my cdp with four separate psu's. I put this cdp shelf right up tight below the top where the turntable is going because I will only have one or the other powered up at any one time so there will be no emi picked up from transformers between the two. This gave more height for the levels underneath so that they could be spaced out even more.

I am now going to prepare myself for the arrival of the internet diy audio safety police. This is at my place of work and no one has access to the room except me. I know where i should not be putting my hands :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

It reminds me of a codebreaking room at Bletchley Park! :D
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 am This thread really does need photos, chaps...
Easier said than done where I am concerned.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Excellent Stu, that would not be out of place on Lurcher 300b's forum.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

karatestu
Great Britain

CycleCoach wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am It reminds me of a codebreaking room at Bletchley Park! :D
Oh yes, but the only thing it is breaking is the rules :grin:
Andy-831 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 am Excellent Stu, that would not be out of place on Lurcher 300b's forum.
Why thank you Andy. They are not so keen on solid state thingies over there and i have not used a single crocodile clip :lol: I do read the AT forum regularly and post now and again.
DIY FREE ZONE

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

lol, Nick seems quite amenable to SS these days
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.