Loosing touch with reality

All general audio posts go here.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Loosing touch with reality

Unread post by joe »

As I can't get inside other people's heads I've no way of knowing why they do the things they do, or buy the things they buy. Nor does it greatly concern me; it's their money and their business.

I like what I've got in terms of hifi, but it took many years and lots of money to get there. Still, I'd only have spent the money on booze otherwise, and hifi's healthy by comparison.

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

I think the small band of enthusiasts do lose touch HIFI is like Boys toys and many admit its not just the sound its the look of high quality materials and spending the many on fancy cabinets and chrome plated CD trays etc. They never mention sound recording as most songs are poorly mixed mastered and they start looking for small upgrades all the time as they need to feed the inner child.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Em, advise on the state of HiFi from somebody who acquainted himself with dc. I think people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ;)

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

slinger wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm I don't give a toss what colour my hi-fi is, or if it's from China, or Mars. I don't care if anyone else likes it. My main system was a one-time best-bang-per-buck purchase and will not be altered. I love music. My systems all play music, some better than others, but I enjoy all of them.
Well im the same. I use a 40 year old Amp i bought off E-Bay for £25. Rewired, Recapped etc & generally fully serviced to make it reliable & safe. Sounds fantastic to my lugholes. Others might turn their noses up & think wtf! Like i give a crap tbh.

I is Snake oil free, anti :bulls1: . Anything gets upgraded in my stereo & it old wire for new, old components for new because it needs changing not because of some super Sound improvement properties :roll:

Take a Hi-Fi turkey with a £10K system give him a £200 system, a £200 system, for instance which sounds clearly better sounding than his, He would never admit this & obviously not change for the cheaper system. Some people have standards [In their own little world] to uphold [To all their Internet forum buddies] A £200 system would ruin their street cred, a Laughing stock without a shadow of a doubt :lol:

:dance:

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Ah the reverse snobbery stance, that is always a solid play. I see we touch all the high points here.

People with expensive systems really dont listen to music.

I own the cheapest possible system, that means I care about music and hi fi more.

Everyone else is being lied to, deceived, are status seeking, and have more money then sense.

Those other people do hi fi to be part of a group, and gain the approval of others.

No one would ever admit they don't like their expensive stereo, and they would never admit they like the very cheapest that could be assembled.

All new electronics are built and sold by charlatans wanting to separate us from our money.

I might have missed one or two. Sorry if I did. This is a pretty good troll, get folks worked up. I bit. But what the heck, I wasn't doing anything terribly important at the moment. I don't give a rats ass what others think of my stereo. I enjoy listening to music through it, and thats good enough for me. No one else pays for it but me, and I am the only one whose opinion matters.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think a lot of those who post on hifi forums have lost touch with reality, they have an obsession with box swapping and the music is secondary. It is a case of spending large amounts of money changing the sound by moving sideways without achieving real improvements. PFM is the prime example, with a lot on WasWam and AOS similar afflicted. Recently the Audio Standard Forum has entered the realms of complete fantasy with the fuse and paint nonsense. It is amusing and I am quite enjoying winding up the main culprits through piss takes on HFS.

The big reality check for me came in 1983 when I heard the LP12. To say it was a case of the king with no clothes on is an understatement. I wish I had auditioned another “high end” turntable such as the Pink Triangle, but the brainwashing had reached such an extent that it had to be the fruit box. Following the audition I concluded that all “high end” equipment was a complete waste of money and my system would be modest. For years and years my system was a Rega Planar 3, NAD 3020, Heybrook HB1s and a Yamaha CD player. It was good VFM and I really enjoyed the sound. Components were only replaced when they came to the end of their life spans. I never aspired to adding anything “high end”. The Rega is still going strong as my second source.

My opinions changed, through the Internet, when I discovered NVA little over a year ago. It was now evident that I could achieve an improvement in sound quality which was night and day without spending silly money. The second system in the bedroom is an everyday reminder of the huge difference in SQ. Following the recent addition of the Qutest, which was required to do full justice to the rest of the system, I feel that things will be complete when the TIS Mk 2 arrives and the SSP Mk2 can return to the Phono 1. I am playing more music than ever before and enjoying my early retirement. :grin:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:23 pm I think a lot of those who post on hifi forums have lost touch with reality, they have an obsession with box swapping and the music is secondary. It is a case of spending large amounts of money changing the sound by moving sideways without achieving real improvements.
Wasting one's own money is fine. Making others waste their money, is not...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

Nice to see people do agree with me, but you will obviously get one that does not wonder why that is :lol:

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Rectified wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:37 pm Nice to see people do agree with me, but you will obviously get one that does not wonder why that is :lol:
Ah, if you are referring to me, then its because I don't care for group think. As I understand it, this is a site that disparages following along with the crowd and sheep like behavior. I prefer to make up my own mind about what sounds good, and am not interested in agreeing with anyone about what "is the right way" of experiencing this hobby.

Listening to music is a daily experience for me, and something I have to have, like a morning cup of coffee. Yet audio is also a hobby, and the journey one takes in a hobby is personal. Hobbies are engaged in for personal satisfaction, and that can come in many varied ways. Some people want the best bang for their buck, others like to restore or DIY, some want the art of the deal and love to haggle, others want to find the best possible sound while spending the least amount of money, others want the best sound possible regardless of cash spent, and so on and so forth. There is a way for everyone to enjoy audio as a hobby, and I don't need to agree with you, nor you with me.

In my personal system I have some old, I have some new, and I have some vintage. Everything is selected to provide me with the most pleasing sound in my home. But I am not married to the stuff either, there is no guarantee I keep it forever. Certain pieces have been with me for a long time, other items don't meet my criteria and get sold after I get a feeling for their capabilities. It's a great hobby, and I love listening to music. But audio is a journey, and everyone travels a different path, and there are different stopping points for everyone. Enjoy it in the way that best fits a person, and don't worry about how others do it. They get their enjoyment in their own way, who are we to tell them its wrong?

ArseHats

Unread post by ArseHats »

Neonknight wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 am Those other people do hi fi to be part of a group, and gain the approval of others.
I wrote something different.
"One whos head is so far up ones own arse that they are wearing ones arse as a hat"