DAC to the Future

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: DAC to the Future

Unread post by Fretless »

When I started getting serious about the RPi, I went from a wall-wart to a 3A powerbank, which is fine as long as you only run the Pi when it is actually in use and you remember to recharge the battery in time. SQ was certainly better. I ended up with 2 powerbanks, a main and a reserve for when the other was charging.

Going to a 'proper' LPSU did noticeably further improve the audio performance in terms of weight, presence and authority.

And I like to leave the things switched on. It's easier. And there's no startup delay. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

I have still not bought my new DAC, but as the end of year bonus is coming up I have been tempted by the Topping D70, or more probably the Sabaj D5. Has anybody heard them?
These users thanked the author CaterhamKev for the post:
NSNO2021 (Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:32 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I had been running the second system in the bedroom through Bluetooth, sacrificing sound quality for conveience. Although both the headphone use Mojo and AQ DF Red sounded far better than the Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth device, I had no control over them from my phone. This changed recently for two reasons, my discovery of the Topping E30 and the length of AQ Carbon USB cable I had spare following the switch to DH Labs Mirage in the main system. The Mojo and DF do not have the right connections for the Carbon.
The E30 fitted the bill perfectly, small in size, no Bluetooth facility or headphone socket, but with a remote control and only £110, cheaper than the AQ Carbon. The E30 did not take long to arrive and I have connected SSP to it as well as the AQ Carbon, as the interconnector was not getting a lot of use on the main system as I rarely play vinyl. SSC is still connecting the P20 to A20 as I think it is best to have the superior cable closer to the source.

I have been quite taken aback by the sound I am now getting. I knew how well the P20 and A20 could perform from when I substituted them into the main system when components were upgraded, but I was not aware of what the Cubettes could delver. Although far from ideally positioned on a cupboard to the side of the listening position they are providing a far greater sense of space and depth with bass extension belying their small size. The positioning is not holding them back as much as I previously though, the semi-omnidirectional design comming into its own. The system is now sounding better than it did with the DF Red or Mojo. I am sure this has a lot to do with the cables, AQ Carbon USB and SSP being added to SSC and LS3. I can recall RD saying that cables were the most effecive NVA upgrade and he certainly had a point.

The Topping E30 is a real giant killer, situated on top of the P20 and also has WAF appeal. I am using a power bank I have as the PS rather than a phone charger. The E30 has two modes, DAC and pre amp. The screen displays the sample rate in DAC mode and the volume in pre amp. It has six filter settings whic have subtle effects. The DAC mode sounds best but is not operational with the remote. Pre amp mode is very good though and the preferred choice for play lists with variable volumes. Am very chuffed about having such a high quality DAC at a low price for the second system and making use of the AQ Carbon and SSP. :grin:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:09 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

CaterhamKev wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 pm I have still not bought my new DAC, but as the end of year bonus is coming up I have been tempted by the Topping D70, or more probably the Sabaj D5. Has anybody heard them?
I've got a D70 clone, from China, but I know several people who have got the pukka deal and are very pleased with them. Watch the spec when ordering (if you do) some come with Bluetooth, and unless you desperately need it you can save yourself forty or fifty quid I believe.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

On AliExpress look for TP audio store, Topping's own factory-direct service.

The D70 can be selected by 'colour' where you see 2 black and 2 silver versions. The cheaper versions have no Bluetooth.

Some models, like the D30, are now coming in a new 'E' version. Not yet for the D70.

Might look an an E30 for myself ... :think:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Topping have a wide range of DACs. I had been looking at the D30 and D50 but they did not meet my requirements. The E30 ticked the right boxes.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

This came out a week ago and has been attracting attention. Chord might not be everyone's cup of tea but this certainy provideds bang for buck costing little more than the Mojo and providing considerably more features.

I have noticed that the difference in SQ between the main system and second system widened since the purchase of the OpticalRendu, although the sound of the second system improved with the MicroRendu becoming part of it. The P20 and A20 have performed well in the main system when the P90SA and A80s were upgraded so they were obviously not the reason for the widened gap. I was to discover that neither were the Cubettes.

Previously when the DAC was plugged directly into a tablet the difference in SQ between the Topping E30 and the Mojo in the second system was minimal. Not so with the MicroRendu in the system which enabled the Mojo to come into its own through the analogue components. There is not much of a difference in price when the cost of the Mcru PS needed to maximise performance, also taken from the main system, is connected to the Topping. The big drawback with the Mojo is that it is battery operated and requires charging. The charge does not last as long as it used to now that I have had it for six years and I can't be arsed, still using it for domestic headphone use only.

The big attraction of the Mojo 2 is that it has a desk top mode and could run off the Mcru PS. I will read purchasers reports with a lot of interest before making a decision, not that any seem to be in stock from suppliers at the moment.
The scope for tonal variations is considerable and could be of some use in the context of the small size of the Cubettes and their positioning. A feature which seems unique is a phase control which is said to provide a more realistic presentation when listening through headphones.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:37 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:21 am)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

CN211276 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:40 pm Image

This came out a week ago and has been attracting attention. Chord might not be everyone's cup of tea but this certainy provideds bang for buck costing little more than the Mojo and providing considerably more features.

I have noticed that the difference in SQ between the main system and second system widened since the purchase of the OpticalRendu, although the sound of the second system improved with the MicroRendu becoming part of it. The P20 and A20 have performed well in the main system when the P90SA and A80s were upgraded so they were obviously not the reason for the widened gap. I was to discover that neither were the Cubettes.

Previously when the DAC was plugged directly into a tablet the difference in SQ between the Topping E30 and the Mojo in the second system was minimal. Not so with the MicroRendu in the system which enabled the Mojo to come into its own through the analogue components. There is not much of a difference in price when the cost of the Mcru PS needed to maximise performance, also taken from the main system, is connected to the Topping. The big drawback with the Mojo is that it is battery operated and requires charging. The charge does not last as long as it used to now that I have had it for six years and I can't be arsed, still using it for domestic headphone use only.

The big attraction of the Mojo 2 is that it has a desk top mode and could run off the Mcru PS. I will read purchasers reports with a lot of interest before making a decision, not that any seem to be in stock from suppliers at the moment.
The scope for tonal variations is considerable and could be of some use in the context of the small size of the Cubettes and their positioning. A feature which seems unique is a phase control which is said to provide a more realistic presentation when listening through headphones.
Richer Sounds were the first outlet to have the Mojo 2 back in stock and I pulled the trigger for a home delivery which arrived yesterday. I am immediately struck by how different it sounds to the Mojo 1. I was not expecting this going on what I have read and believe it is due to the transparancy of the NVA system it is connected to in desktop mode. The top end is more detailed which must be because of the Mojo 1 roll of which is intended to improve sound through many headphones, as it does with my Grados. However, bass with the Mojo 2 is somewhat lacking compared with the Mojo 1, comparable with the Topping E30.

Time to start experimenting with the filter settings. There is one for upper bass and one for lower bass with numerous adjustment options. I think the upper bass setting will be most appropriate for Cubettes. I will suck it and see. As things stand the Mojo 1 is more musical than the 2, but I hope to get the best of both worlds with the optimum filter setting.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:50 am) • CycleCoach (Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:12 pm) • antonio66 (Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:51 am)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lordie82360now
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Can I add the smsl su8s to the list of dacs.
It is by far the best sounding Dac I have experienced - I have had a few - Topping d50 and s model until the display went awol, a number of the Beresford offerings and a pro-ject.
For me with SSP mk ii interconnects and DH labs usb cables it does the business better than any of the above.
I am reluctant to remove it even for a denafrips ares 2 - not that I have heard one or could justify the price.
I purchased it on a whim secondhand and it transformed the sound and got even better with my recently acquired NVA pre and power combo.
Perhaps I will now settle down and stop looking for the perceived perfect sound as I am enjoying listening to music on an industrial scale where as before with previous components I could take it or leave it - certainly helping my sanity!
These users thanked the author Lordie82360now for the post:
Fretless (Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:30 pm)
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

CN211276 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:33 am

Time to start experimenting with the filter settings. There is one for upper bass and one for lower bass with numerous adjustment options. I think the upper bass setting will be most appropriate for Cubettes. I will suck it and see. As things stand the Mojo 1 is more musical than the 2, but I hope to get the best of both worlds with the optimum filter setting.
I was wrong about the upper bass as any uplift muddied the sound. It takes effect too high up the frequency range. After experimentation I have found that 6 DB lower bass boost is optimum for the Cubettes, taking into account that listening is at low levels. At this setting the Mojo 2 is a worthwhile improvement over the 1 in the second system. The Mojo 1 is used exclusively for headphone duties.

It seems that numerous filter options are a common feature on modern DACs. The Mojo 2 has 72 in total and they are not subtle. In contrast the four year old Qutest in the main system only has four which are subtle. I have found that no filtering, which allows sub sonic frequencies through, sounds best. The reason for this to these ears is that it improves bass definition. I do not know the reason for this and have read reports of super tweeters having a similar effect.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:30 am)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc