The listening room

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
Wales

Re: The listening room

Unread post by CN211276 »

80-85 db peaks are about right for me, though much of the time I listen at lower levels. This was usually the case in the previous semi detached which had thin walls. I was lucky with neighbours except once when a pair of head cases moved in. Things got very, very nasty with police, the council and solicitors before they moved out.
System DC Blocker, NVA BMU, Cisco 2960G, Sonore MicroRendu/MCRU PS, AQ JB, ifi iPurifier 3, Chord Mscaler, Chord Qutest/MCRU PS, NVA P90SA Mk2, NVA A80s Mk3, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS, DH Labs Mirage USB/Silver Sonic BNC, Cat 8 ethernet.
HP Grado SR 325e, Chord Mojo, AQ Carbon.
Analogue Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1.
Second System Topping E30, NVA P20, NVA A20, NVA Cubettes, NVA LS3, NVA, NVA SSP, SSC, AQ Carbon.
Out Beyerdynamic Avenha, AQ DF Red.

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I wish I had a bigger room :cry: My kitchen diner is much bigger and that has my AP20, Cambridge Audio CD5 and a tiny pair of B&W CM1. That is loud enough even is this bigger room. They are in two corners of the room :shock: and only 18" from the ceiling :shock: :shock: In my defence I didn't buy them, a friend gave me them and later passed away so they have sentimental value.

You would think there would be too much bass but I put the factory supplied bungs in the rear port. I expect that if they were in free space then I would need the ports open but cos they are right back to the wall and near the corner apex the bass weight is about right :dance:

I would like to put some semi omni's in there but I don't think it would work with them having to be so close to the ceiling. The CM1 won't be doc modded or messed with at all. They only a have a first order xover :dance: but still sound a little dull compared to a semi omni with doped mid bass.
DIY inspired by Richard "The Doc" Dunn RIP

Lindsayt
Vatican City

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:00 am
I wish I had a bigger room :cry: My kitchen diner is much bigger and that has my AP20, Cambridge Audio CD5 and a tiny pair of B&W CM1. That is loud enough even is this bigger room. They are in two corners of the room :shock: and only 18" from the ceiling :shock: :shock: In my defence I didn't buy them, a friend gave me them and later passed away so they have sentimental value.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

The CM1's should be in the bedroom. As they'd be great for when you're having trouble getting to sleep. :sleeping-sleeping:

The CD5 and AP20 would be a great match for some decent speakers. :music-singing:

Room size. For many people, you're stuffed. Property prices are too prohibitively priced.

I bought a house that was the equivalent of my EV Sentry III's. IE basically broken and needed repairs to be workable. Exept the house has been and still is a far greater renovation project than the speakers. The house was in such a bad state that it was the same price as a new or nearly new 3 or 4 bedroomed detached in this area (one of the cheaper parts of the UK). I therefore regard the house as no big deal. Anyone on an average wage in my area could have bought it.

With Covid 19 it's possible there will be a short term adjustment to property prices and that the next year might be a good time to buy a big old "yuck" style project house.

My rooms are 24' by 18 by 12'. I have 6 of them that size on the north side of the house. Which explains a lot about my choice of speakers for my main system, bedroom system and AV system.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am)