Radford Revival

All general audio posts go here.
Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Radford Revival

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

I recently flogged (gave away) all my NVA gear, not as some suggested "Cut off my nose to spite my face" I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, but just fancied a change.

Enter the Radford Revival STA 25 mk 5........my thoughts below.

.........................................................................................................................

RADFORD REVIVAL STA-25 (mk5) Review.

(Currently used in conjunction with)
Marantz CD-73 player / Rothwell Indus passive preamp / Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A speakers.

(Why)?
I have always hankered after a Radford - STA since first hearing my uncles one way back in 1976. Now I can't be sure if it was a 15 or 25 to be honest, but one thing I can still remember was the magical sound it produced and the good times we spent listening to his album collection, It was this experience that piqued my interest and set me on the twisty HiFi road.

(Build Quality)
"Good things come to those who wait" So the saying goes, and I can confirm with regard to the arrival of my new RR STA-25 this is indeed the case.....It's been a long (43 year) wait.
Attention to detail / Fit and finish / Meticulous build quality - Would put a Fabergé Egg to shame !!
Words simply don't do it justice, this amplifier really has to be seen in the flesh (so to speak) to truly appreciate the work that "Will & Steve" have put into it's production.
Radford's original amplifiers have an enviable reputation for outstanding reliability, (of which a quick search of the web will testify) and im quite sure judging by the build and superior components used, the RR's new one's will undoubtedly carry on this enviable tradition.

(Sound Quality 1)
This amp is special, it's right. And this rightness (for want of a better word) is immediately obvious from the opening bars of any track you care to throw at it.
There is no woolyness or warmth (common to a lot of valve amps) present here, instead it portrays the music faithfully, with tremendous grip and superb clarity.
I've had more power amplifiers (both Valve and Transistor) than I care to remember over the last 40 years, but musically none have come remotely close to the sound that the STA produces.
Put simply this is the finest sounding amplifier I have heard to date by a considerable margin.
My one regret is the fact that I never discovered the existence of Radford Revival sooner.

(Sound Quality 2)
I will try my best to avoid the usual hifi cliché's and superlatives, and instead try and give you some insight into a few of the STA's many virtues and strengths via few of my favourite albums.
First up "Kate Bush - The Sensual World" the track "This Woman's Work" we have never heard it sound so hauntingly beautiful, had me and the better half reaching for the tissues.
Next "Tori Amos - Under the Pink" play the track "Cornflake Girl" and one could be forgiven for thinking Tori has wheeled her Bosendorfer in, and is playing live in your listening room.
Now apparently my LS3/5As don't do Bass and can't Rock, right ?....Wrong, (it only takes an amp of the STA's calibre and ability to make them do so) try "Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette" album, "Sly & Robbies" rhythm section is so tight and infectious I defy anyone with toes not to tap them.
Whilst "Black Sabbath's - Heaven and Hell" album would have a nun headbanging...!!!
Play "Tim Buckley - Letters Live" or "John Martyn - No Little Boy" albums and the STA will leave you in no doubt of its finesse and minute detail retrieval abilities. Tim's walk on introduction to raptuous applause is startlingly realistic, you can even hear the turning of sheet music..!!
Whilst John's Sax player "Tony Coe" can easily be distinguished licking his lips prior to playing..!!
(Thing's in the mix I've never heard before despite numerous listens via lesser amps)
Well I could go on but had best stop there, and alas unless you have an STA (or it's equal) handy you may not be able to hear these things, but hopefully you get the picture.

(Value for Money)
Firstly this is not a factory mass produced amp churned out in the hundreds....No no no.
In the grand scheme of things audio, this is a rather rare beast indeed.
If one stops a moment and considers the fact that the Radford Revival STA is an iconic British amplifier, meticulously hand built, (with finer components and technology, not currently available to the original amps) hand wired in very small numbers to order, by a small team of dedicated and passionate audiophiles....Not to mention the man hours involved in such an undertaking.
Figure in the fact that when it comes to making music, it makes the (so called) hi-end big boys costing X times the price sound bland and quite obviously flawed and lacking by comparison.

I suggest that if the Radford Revival STA was double it's current price, it would be a great bargain (and still have a lengthy waiting list). As it stands, priced at £2800 it is an absolute bloody steal.

Build quality..............10 /10
Sound quality............10 /10
Value for money........10 /10

For...............Everything.
Against........Nothing. (waiting list aside)

I would now like to close with a BIG thank you to Steve & Will Moores and all associated with Radford Revival, who's dedication and passion continue to bring Arthur Radford & John Widgery's classic amplifiers to a new generation of music lovers worldwide.

THANK YOU.
A.J.W.R. (2019).

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

Andy-831
Great Britain

Re: Radford Revival

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Lovely amp Jammy.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Looks very nice Jammy. Get some nice NOS valves in it. :-)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Very pleased you're enjoying the new amp and speakers. A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

Jammy Dodger

Cheers lads, anyone have any NOS Mullards kicking about..........!!!

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

As a matter of fact, yes. :-)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

That's a really cool looking amp, Jammy.

Must be really something special.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Nearly bought a Eastern Electrics M520 back in the day caused it look like the Radford, nice amp.
Frank...made me do it.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Nice amp (actually one valve amp I've always fancied) but those Falcon LS3/5A are now a rip off price through dealers. You can buy the parts from Falcon and save a substantial sum. They need to be a damn big improvement on earlier incarnations.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Jammy Dodger

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 am As a matter of fact, yes. :-)
Nice one Ali......Matched Quads & Cryogenicly treated ?

😁