Simple stream

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Simple stream

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

If Youtube is ok (is for me but some audio people look down on such) and you have an old laptop that can be spared to use as another 'source,' one option could be to site it near the amp, buy something like a Topping D10 USB dac for fifty quid or so, which has a pretty clean and ultra-sonic-safe output and feed that into your amp (it's USB only though, where the D30 for thirty quid more has optical and SPDIF as well with a front panel switch). Other cheap dacs have been reviewed well too and I think SMSL have been recommended, but I'd suggest taking care where they come from as if or even when they fail, getting service may be an issue (I'm assuming Amazon UK are ok for warranty replacements and so on). Some laptops have a digital output added to the 3.5mm 'headphone' socket, but I've never used these on my stuff here - I do use an occasionally glitchy Chromecast Audio and 'Audio Cast' software on occasion and although the performance of the CCA from its audio line out - rather than just digital output where it's a lot better apparently - is only just-about red-book acceptable (so technically bottom tier by today's high standards and about the same as the 'dac-for-a-fiver' we've often gone on about here), it sounds just fine for my needs currently. I do use cable ferrites a lot though to try to keep some potential interference at bay but here it's more placebo I suspect.

If an old internet capable tablet could be wired via a USB 'C' connector, I understand Apple do a superb dongle/dac for a tenner or little more (Amazon sell them too). The 3.5mm output is apparently fine for use with an audio amp. This and the CCA reviewed thoroughly on ASR if you want to look.

Neither option is sophisticated really, but either should work just fine for general internet use. Forgive me if this idea is totally ridiculous for you.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

You can get acceptably decent sound using the digital optical out facility of chromecast audio into a high quality DAC. On a limited try with Spotify (via Android phone) I found sound varied greatly between different tracks. Also decent sound from Youtube casting from a windows computer running chrome.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Two years ago I bought a streamer and the improvement it brought about was very significant. Previously I had streamed Tidal (who I was with at the time) from my PC to DAC. I did not know what I was missing. Streaming through wifi from my phone via the BubbleUp app was something of a revelation. There is no way I could go back to the previous set up as I would be required to do with Amazon HD. I suspect the improvement had something to do with the BubbleUp app as well as the elimination of inaudable nasties from the PC. The importance of a third party app is substantiated by my experience with Audio Player Pro which I use for head phone listening. Qobuz sound far better running through this app than directly. Amazon are missing a trick by not being compatale with other apps. This has been raised on another forum. Audio Player Pro were contacted about not accomodating Amazon but refused to comment. I suppose it is Amazon's policy to distance themseives from other companies. This is the case with my Fire Tablet which blocked the automatic update to the Qobuz app at the start of the year. Unless Amazon's policy changes I will not be trialling their streaming service.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Update, thanks to all advise here got myself a Chromecast audio, easy to set up and little money! Works great for my " late night early morning" listening, totally surprised by the variation of sound quality on you tube,little sumsung tablet didn't show that! Just enjoying trolling YouTube! Is there a down side,no! Ok audio doesn't quite sync with the screen and it's not quite "hifi" ..but I can live with that, and overall what's not to like? I'm sure there is better quality out there and I am (I think) beginning to understand why you stream? I suspect that once the novelty wears off, I might start looking for more, but that's a long way off. Thanks everybody.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

The Chromecast has a "Full Dynamic Range" setting. This used to default to "off". If that is still so, try changing it to "on".
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I understand that if you run it to an external DAC via an optical connection the Chromecast audio operates in FDR. It certainly qualifies as hi-fi if used with a DAC.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

hi, not running a separate dac, just 3.5 to rca into amp. should I be doing it different? it seems to work ok? with less boxes leads etc but if it is wronge then will see about change. Many thanks.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:09 pm hi, not running a separate dac, just 3.5 to rca into amp. should I be doing it different? it seems to work ok? with less boxes leads etc but if it is wronge then will see about change. Many thanks.
Nope imho. Just check that dynamic range setting.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Yes have switched it to " full dynamic range" as per your advice, thanks :grin: biggest problem so far is sometimes it just drops the cast? Have to go back to google home, re cast and back again to YouTube! Think the problem is with little Samsung tablet as when I downloaded the app it said something like "this device is unable to fully support Chromecast " however it downloaded and initially seemed to work ok? Maybe this means I need to look for something other than the Samsung I have to run the app,By the way I don't have a "smartphone "

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Can you not cast directly via your laptop, using the "Play on your TV" icon on the YouTube videos? I've only used that method to play videos to the telly via Chromecast perhaps audio-only would work in the same manner?
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X