NVA pricing

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: NVA pricing

Unread post by CN211276 »

southall-1998 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 pm
CN211276 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:31 pm I had not heard of NVA until 2016 and now have a top quality system very much on the cheap.

Thanks Doc. :grin: :guiness;
What system did you have before NVA?

S.
Arcam Amp, Dynaudio speakers, QED speaker cable, Chord DAC, Rega TT. All What HiFi five star reviews. First NVA purchases were the BMU and LS6 which made a big difference. The amps and Cubes followed.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Re: AP10H MKII - upgrades, multiple options, introductory offer

Unread post by George Hincapie »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:58 am
George Hincapie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Industry standard for components is 7 to 8 times parts cost. New NVA is currently an average of 3.92.

Some boutique brands are 12-15.
But the design of those boutique items is exceptional; they aren't boring black plastic boxes.

There are two elements here; how something looks and how something sounds. Above a certain price level, the acceptance of which is different for each of us, it isn't enough for a product to simply perform. It has to create a pride of ownership; exquisite craftmanship and design. Those are factors that consumers use to justify a purchase.

NVA has always sat on the right side of the value/performance proposition, but that isn't so true any more. It's moved into competion with brands that include thoughtful design and construction as a key element of their offer.

For clarity, not a criticism from me; I sincerely applaud you for taking the business on. Just a suggestion that you consider whether your current product range ticks *all* of the requirements for the target customer your new pricing model now attracts.
Hi George,

We could make different, highly designed cases if we stop using acrylic, but then it wouldn't be NVA, imo. The panel design is required for ease of construction and to maximise space for large transformers, stepped attenuators etc. It is minimalist but it is very well made. We plan to do more to demonstrate and explain that.

We are also investing heavily in customer service.; making it as easy and enjoyable as possible to do business with us.

You had a full system of top of the range NVA, iirc. Why did you sell it all?
I sold some NVA components for a variety of reasons.

One of those was a desire to raise the performance level of certain components above the level of that offered by NVA, as well as giving greater pride of ownership from a visual design perspective.

I had a lot invested in the brand and it wasn't providing the same pleasure it once did.

I still use the Cubes and TSCS cables. I hate the way the Cubes look, but annoyingly I haven't found any alternatives that perform better up to £5,000. They have embarrassed some huge brands.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

George Hincapie
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:05 pm China produces some very nice copies of well-known hi-fi manufacturers' casework. If you really feel that to make your music sound... well... musical, you absolutely must have pretty, useless, shiny, baubles, then put your NVA kit behind a screen and put some fake cases on your sideboard.

Now, I can't deny that I like good-looking things, you only have to look at my profile pic, but I'm practical too. There is nothing to dis-like about the way NVA looks, so the only real "excuse" for not buying NVA is that it's not made from unobtanium, and doesn't have capacitor-foil that's rolled on the thighs of dusky maidens and then encapsulated in gold, filled with the tears of angels.

If it offends you, hide it. Value is not added by baubles, bangles, and beads, but by top-notch components put together in the knowledge that the ultimate goal is to make music; the best music possible for the price. As mentioned above, the casework is integral to the sound produced. You can't really have one without the other.

I don't have a "dog in the race," by the way. As a poor old pensioner, I couldn't afford to upgrade BEFORE the prices went up. :lol:

The only way to keep the NVA brand and the NVA "sound" alive was, as I see it, to make NVA into a sustainable business. Which is what has happened. The major difference is that the Doc isn't here to subsidise your purchases any more.

N.B.
All of the above is purely a personal opinion. Although I'm an admin here, neither I nor any of the "staff" at HFS is actually affiliated with NVA, we're just fans, the same as you guys hopefully are.
I disagree. It's easily possible to combine performance and asthethics. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Aeasthectics is a value judgement.

Id be interested to know if you got a better performance and how much it cost.

And you could try putting the drivers in a nice wooden box

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:18 pm Aeasthectics is a value judgement.

Id be interested to know if you got a better performance and how much it cost.

And you could try putting the drivers in a nice wooden box
Yes I got better performance; I wouldn't have committed to the purchase otherwise. I'm heavily into diminishing returns territory though; the A100s and P90SA are a formidable combination in pure performance terms.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

Daniel Quinn

Care to name the products?

And given the cubes, have cheap drivers and acrylics attributes are unique (steel lined cabinets) , the magic recipe is either no crossover or semi omni. It's amazing that these have for you seen of speakers costing up to 5k.

Daniel Quinn

Arnt unique