Soldering

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Soldering

Unread post by zebbo »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 pm
zebbo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 pm Don't know about the soldering station but if you want a pukka multimeter get a Fluke.
Fluke meters are very nice but also very expensive, they start at around £170, unless you are going to use it all day every day I would suggest it is over the top. I would avoid the really cheap ones though. I can't think of a brand I would recommend though. The one I use most came from Maplin.

Antex make a very good temperature controlled soldering iron, I have always used Antex irons and never had a problem with spares.
Aye, but you get what you pay for. I've had mine for about 15 years and it still operates like new and everything is tight despite having a pretty hard life. It sounds like this isn't just for a bit of DIY so I'd say get the best you can afford.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

zebbo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:23 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 pm
zebbo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 pm Don't know about the soldering station but if you want a pukka multimeter get a Fluke.
Fluke meters are very nice but also very expensive, they start at around £170, unless you are going to use it all day every day I would suggest it is over the top. I would avoid the really cheap ones though. I can't think of a brand I would recommend though. The one I use most came from Maplin.

Antex make a very good temperature controlled soldering iron, I have always used Antex irons and never had a problem with spares.
Aye, but you get what you pay for. I've had mine for about 15 years and it still operates like new and everything is tight despite having a pretty hard life. It sounds like this isn't just for a bit of DIY so I'd say get the best you can afford.
I'll not argue with that but equally I have a tiny multimeter issued to me in the 90s that is still working fine and that was for professional use. I'd like to have a Fluke but I can't justify a fourth digital multi meter. If you can afford £170 then buy a Fluke.

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

slinger wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:08 pm A lot depends on your budget, as you'll have seen, they range from tens-of-pounds to hundreds. I bought this one a few weeks ago, for less than thirty quid, and it's perfectly adequate for the amount of use it'll get. It's got a variety of tips and you can buy replacements.

DQ is spot on about the "helping hand" tool, too. You won't know you need one until the first time you use it, and the second, and the third... :lol: I'd add that a decent "solder sucker" desoldering tool is a good addition to your kit as well.

One last bit of unrequested advice: If it's not going to live permanently on a workbench, or similar, get something to store all of your soldering gear in, to keep it all together for when you actually need it. One of these fit the bill perfectly for me.
Nice! Thank you.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

There's plenty of 2nd hand Flukes around as long as you don't want one immediately you will find a good RMS version for around a £100. A brand new basic Fluke 101is £40 on ebay. You won't go wrong with a pukka Fluke.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

For what it's worth, I also bought one of these multimeters fairly recently. It's fairly solid, and my only complaint is that it didn't come with croc clips. That was fairly easily remedied though. It's not quite as "rugged" as my old BT "Meter Multifunction" (I had an analogue "Meter Multirange" as well) but then again it's not going to get the same hammering that those got, at work.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Thanks for all of the brilliant responses chaps! 👍

I have found the research into soldering irons interesting; some real expensive crap out there. I am probably going for a Hakko FX888D. Looks like it has been designed by a 2 year old, but is apparently quite good.

What solder do you guys like? I've been told to use 60 40 Leaded Rosin No Clean. Does that sound right?
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

George Hincapie
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:02 pm For what it's worth, I also bought one of these multimeters fairly recently. It's fairly solid, and my only complaint is that it didn't come with croc clips. That was fairly easily remedied though. It's not quite as "rugged" as my old BT "Meter Multifunction" (I had an analogue "Meter Multirange" as well) but then again it's not going to get the same hammering that those got, at work.
That multimeter looks insane! Does it make you a brew as well? 😊
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

George Hincapie wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 pm
slinger wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:02 pm For what it's worth, I also bought one of these multimeters fairly recently. It's fairly solid, and my only complaint is that it didn't come with croc clips. That was fairly easily remedied though. It's not quite as "rugged" as my old BT "Meter Multifunction" (I had an analogue "Meter Multirange" as well) but then again it's not going to get the same hammering that those got, at work.
That multimeter looks insane! Does it make you a brew as well? 😊
:lol:
No, but if you make one it will tell you how hot it is. It actually comes with a thermocouple.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

George Hincapie
Great Britain

So I see! I can't believe how much capability has been packed into one box!
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

George Hincapie
Great Britain

I am going to buy the Antex XS25 mains iron now to get started. I'll see if I can get the Hakko reduced over Black Friday. I can buy it now but it would irritate if I see it for sale in a few weeks.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz