Cable burn in

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Cable burn in

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I am 100% sure I can tell differences in the tonal qualities of cables, so much so that I have taken to experimenting and making my own (at great expense). I believe I can tell the difference between, brass and tellerium copper RCA connectors, ditto soldered and crimped connections but not UP-OCC/OCC/Non OCC copper wire. What seems to make a difference with the wire is its gauge, whether its a single solid core or multistrand and to my ears if its shielded, I definately prefer good shielding as I have a lot of "stuff" in close proximity (wi,fi, tele, wi fi alarm console and all my music kit). My next experiment is with my LS6 cables, I am going to see if shielding them provides any change to the sound of these. As for burn in, my arse is firmly on the fence. Onward and upwards eh :grin:
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I am intrigued by people who say they can hear the difference between cables, mainly because I can't but also because I have never considered paying the price for the super cables people say are brilliant. I have used a lot of Van Damm cable with Neutric connectors and I honestly can't say I can tell the difference from Maplin cable with Neutric connectors. In each case I made up the cable and the connectors came from the same batch.

I would really love to know what happens to a cable over a period with picro amps flowing through it, think a moving coil cartridge into 47KΩ. I say this because cable burn-in devices use more than that, so what do they actually do?

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have always been able to detect differences between cables, the most significant when upgrading from LS6 to TSCS. Have not given USB cables much thought but have decidehd to take a punt on Audioquest Carbon. If not impressed Amazon have a good returns policy. I will report.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

keepitsimplestupid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm No denying that people believe they hear cables burn in. But given that no science supports this, we really should look to equipment warm up and acclimatisaion as more likely causes.
There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy Horatio (or something like that).

I had a chemistry lecturer who put it like this. If the theory doesn't explain what's going on at the bench - guess which is wrong?

The other thing is that cables seem to be system specific. What works in one will not necessarily work in another. That's why a home trial is essential and the higher up the ladder you go, the more critical it becomes. Think of an F1 car looking for the optimum performance. Tiny changes in the aero and the tyre pressures can make huge differences in performance. It's like that as HiFi gets more esoteric (and expensive). In my case, it's the mains that is the Achilles heel here. BMU helped a lot but I still get "bad mains days". But I've still invested in some serious cables.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Agree about cables being system specific.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Cables are system specific because not all kit has infinite psrr and noise rejection, and input and output impedance vary as does load in variance.

Use stuff that's load invariant and has 100db of psrr and noise rejection and cable sound disappears, ime.

@madmick, I'd look at experimental first.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

CN211276 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 pm I have always been able to detect differences between cables, the most significant when upgrading from LS6 to TSCS. Have not given USB cables much thought but have decidehd to take a punt on Audioquest Carbon. If not impressed Amazon have a good returns policy. I will report.
The AQ Carbon arrived yesterday. Connected it to the streamer and Mscaler and straight from the off there was a distinct improvement over the Wireworld USB cable, which was not cheap, I had been using. The improvement can best be described as a greater sense of space and ease. USB cables do not sound the same and make a difference. The AQ is a keeper and the wireworld is destined for Ebay. :grin:
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

That's good to hear 😉
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

CN211276 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm
CN211276 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 pm I have always been able to detect differences between cables, the most significant when upgrading from LS6 to TSCS. Have not given USB cables much thought but have decidehd to take a punt on Audioquest Carbon. If not impressed Amazon have a good returns policy. I will report.
The AQ Carbon arrived yesterday. Connected it to the streamer and Mscaler and straight from the off there was a distinct improvement over the Wireworld USB cable, which was not cheap, I had been using. The improvement can best be described as a greater sense of space and ease. USB cables do not sound the same and make a difference. The AQ is a keeper and the wireworld is destined for Ebay. :grin:
I've developed a bit of an AudioQuest habit. I've completely refitted my AV setup using AQ, and I've got an AQ Carbon USB cable in my digital setup too. I'm also using AQ Red River interconnects between DAC and amp.

I can't afford hugely expensive cables, and I'm not sure I'd buy them even if I could. AQ seems to be the best bang-per-buck solution I've found, so far, especially as they turn up quite often on eBay.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

I am quite a fan of Audio Quest. Have a Dragonfly Red attached to my phone, a Dragonfly Black, Jitterbug and now the Carbon USB cable.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc