Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

Unread post by Fretless »

The trouble is that once I have convinced myself that I really need something, then I find it extremely difficult / virtually impossible to let it go.

This effect is compounded when the object in question becomes harder to obtain.

So - the Ifi Nano iUSB 3.0 has been ordered, again.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Fretless wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:52 pm The trouble is that once I have convinced myself that I really need something, then I find it extremely difficult / virtually impossible to let it go.

This effect is compounded when the object in question becomes harder to obtain.

So - the Ifi Nano iUSB 3.0 has been ordered, again.
It's a bugger trying to type this way, but I'll attempt to keep my fingers crossed for you.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Fretless
Netherlands

Looks like the Schiit Wyrd is still available, for now...

https://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php ... -wyrd.html

And it is a fine-sounding , very affordable way to improve SQ if you are using a USB input into a DAC - especially from a PC or other non-audio-optimised device (like a Pi).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

I have been intensely comparing a few options to crank up the USB streaming section of my main system and have been considering the following:

1) Ifi Nano IUSB 3.0 (225 euro) self-powered, in-line purifier. Looks great but is no longer available.

2) Ifi Nano iGalvanic 3.0 (395 euro) passively-powered in-line device. Total Galvanic isolation of USB power lines. No extraneous noise passed through to DAC. Data cleanly regenerated.

3) Ifi Micro IUSB 3.0. (455 euro) Flagship unit. Self-powered. Designed for ultimate cleaning and balancing of data signal. Currently awaiting new production run.

4) Allo USBridge SIG (270 euro). Totally OTT Pi-based streaming unit incorporating extensive cleaning of input Ethernet signal and generating ultra-clear USB output.

At the moment I am leaning towards option 4 from Allo. But there is a small audio-streamer shop based nearby that has the Ifi Galvanic in stock. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that this device won't perform much differently to the Wyrd.

I tried putting in an RPi 2B in place of the Tinkerboard. Also running Volumio and using the same USB output route.
The 2B was way less impressive than the Asus board with reduced dynamics and narrower soundstage.

As the Allo USBridge SIG is Pi-based, it can run on different operating systems like Moode, which some commentators have said sounds better then Volumio.

Choices, choices... :think: :doh:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

eagwok33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Hi Fretless,

Number 4) looks interesting to me. I only don't like the USB C power connection Allo is using.
Lately, I invested in a dedicated music server based on an Odroid HC1 and an 1TB SSD to store all my music on it. I managed to install Ubuntu server 18.4. and the Logitech Media server software on the HC-1 for handling my music. This was an adventure and worth another long story... :) but not right now...

I use my Raspi 3B+, Ian Canada Fifo Pi and ESS 9028 DAC HAT plus transformer output stage combo now only as player (nothing is connected to the USB ports, only the ethernet connection is used) and this and the introduction of the HC-1 server with LMS made a big difference in sound quality as the Raspi no longer has extensive tasks to do, to also handle the USB HD with music or an USB stick with music on it.

Hence, this concept of a special, "audiophile super Raspberry" which Allo introduced with the USBridge Sig could be another step up in sound quality as it has a better USB / Ethernet port handling implemented as it seems. Some folks on DIY-Audio, who have experience with Pi 3B+ and Allo's new USBridge Sig also seem to confirm this. To be frank, I don't know if I will invest in this new Allo gadget as CD and LP still have advantages musically in my system in comparison to music from SSD. Streaming (Qobuz in my case) sounds nice too, but is definitely not on the level of music from SSD here in my home.

I can confirm that Moode to my ears has advantages to Volumio (just on how I enjoy / am connected to my music; music over Volumio feels to me like it is a bit equalized in comparison). I currently test Collybia (Archphile) as player software for my Raspi and first impressions are positive regarding the reproduction of music, although the software is not as comfortable as Moode.

Enjoy your music!
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

Fretless
Netherlands

Thanks for that, Norbert. Lots of useful tips there. :grin:

After first using the HifiBerry Digi+ and Digi+ PRO on RPi 2B's I then moved over to Allo units. Their DigiOne was a significant step up from the Digi+ PRO and the Allo DigiOne SIG was, to my ears, pretty well the best result possible with an SPDIF connection to the DAC.

However, I now realise that I have been using an underpowered Pi board, as the 3B does have more processing power than the older 2B. The Pi4 has even more CPU capacity, I believe. The Asus Tinkerboard does display a major improvement over the Pi 2B with a far bigger CPU and separated USB and Ethernet processing. The USB output from that exceeds the SQ from the DigiOne SIG (I was really surprised about that) and then with further cleaning of the data transmission path (Wyrd) things get into seriously high-end audio territory.

But the Tinkerboard has limited software options in comparison to the Pi - which has a wide range of Operating Systems available. And I would like to be able to compare Moode with Volumio.

I have only been immensely impressed by Allo products so far. They are slightly more expensive but this is more than justified by the build quality and their superb sound. Pricewise it's still peanuts when you look at the 'serious' audio streamers on the market.

Hopefully I'll be getting around to ordering the USBridge later this month, got to get a new smartphone first - my Huawei is dying.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

eagwok33

Hi Fret, thanks for your valuable input on the Allo products. The USBridge Sig is definitely an interesting product to think about. And I do...
I will follow, what you will find out about it. :epopc:

Regarding the P4 versus 3B+. I'm not sure if higher processing power can be translated into a gain of musicality of the system. Noise is possibly increased too, due to the increased processing power and higher power consumption. This is a topic where some information can be found on the net. One article I found highly informative is this one:
https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/compute ... nceptions/

I was close getting a Pi4 but then decided to stay with the 3B+ - despite the weakness of the 3B+ with its shared USB / ethernet bus - due to all the information I gathered on the net about what possibly makes a good computer audio device.
So, I have invested - as the above paper suggests - also some thought in the power supply for my SBC DAC solution. I now have - just mounted on a piece of wood - three regulated ps, one for the pi, one for the Ian FifoPi and one for the ESS-DAC plus one extra regulator board, which powers the 3 voltage rails of the DAC with 3.3v each. The ps together with the PI/DAC stack look a bit like a christmas tree as quite a few leds are glowing in different colors, when everything is on ;) - but it seems to help the sound, too. Especially, the extra regulator board for the 3 voltage rails of the ESS9028 DAC made a difference to my ears. There is more flow in the music and the sound stage opens up quite significantly.

There is a lot more to try according to the paper. So let's see, when there is time. It is definitely fun and a lot to learn.
In my opinion, it is quite a task to get great musical experience from an SBC based audio device and some DIY. I can fully understand Stu, his KISS principle and his preference for a well made / upgraded CD player. 8-) I still come to the same conclusion and am not at all disappointed... :)

Good luck on your further efforts to reach audio bliss! :)
Norbert

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

If the ESS 9028 has three voltage supply pins then it is a shame that they all share a voltage regulator. There are more gains to be had as i found out when i modified my cdp's dac. It already had a dedicated regulator for each of it's three voltage pins but all running from the same psu. You may think that giving each regulator it's own independent power supply (right back to transformer) is overkill but from my experience it makes a wonderful difference to the music and was one of the best mods i ever did to that cdp.

It is a shame non of these boards go that far. I for one would be very interested in a product which went to such lengths. Or maybe there is one i am not aware of. Failing that i would have to get the soldering iron out.
DIY FREE ZONE

eagwok33

Hi Stu,
thanks for your remarks. You are absolutely right.
I had you and the Doc's principles in mind and used a LT1963A 3-way independent linear regulated power supply board and AC powered it with one R-Core transformer's secondaries. So, on the board are three independent regulators according to the ad on ebay. So in my case each regulator powers individually one of the three rails on the DAC. :) Here is the link on ebay (I used a different store):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1963A-3-way- ... SwNmxZrBm7

I can confirm, my music sounds better with this board than without (and only one ps for the DAC). 8-)
Norbert

Fretless
Netherlands

Just a note about the current setup, it is sounding really good at the moment and I put that down to the AQ Carbon getting run-in. It was the latest addition and has been in place for about 3 weeks now. SQ is rich, detailed and pleasantly improved overall.

In the last 6 months my whole digital streaming source has been completely revised with USB links replacing SPDIF. The Ethernet connection becoming cleaner. A more powerful streaming SBC. USB regeneration unit and a DAC running 16 parallel NOS processors.

Learnt a lot recently simply by trying things out.
:music-listening:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl