Back to the music

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Back to the music

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Having a bit of a shift around, so out came my original Cyrus one (plastic case) :shock: purchased it new in I don't know when and my arcam two's (again purchased them new) playing some stuff via Roksan cdp, lp12, ssc and ls1 :mrgreen: sounds good to my ears :-? Tho I'm sure some could disagree :dance:

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Back to the music

Unread post by karatestu »

I don't disagree. It's ok to like what you like. It's you that is listening to it after all. One big lesson i learned (and it took a while) is not to listen to forum opinions too much. LP12 bashing has been good sport on hfs in the past but i hope we have moved on from that. Just don't mention the word "port" :grin:

I have never heard a Cyrus one but i have heard Arcam 2 speakers as i was given some. Take the wadding out and have another listen :epopc: And i do own a LP12 so you are in good company :lol: It's not standard though - the only Linn bits left on it are the bearing, motor, belt and plinth. Avondale Taps2 psu, Audioflat Rubikon subchassis :shock: , Naim Aro with Lyra Argo on it and a fibre glass top plate for £70 with additional motor position at 7 O'clock. I got some spring replacement thingies as well from Alfi which are well worth a go.

Recently i have been wondering if an LP12 can be powered with a cord around the outer platter and motor off boarded. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I ran an lp12 platter with a gl69 idler and motor. It can be run with an offboard solution.
Didn't have any other lp12 bits left though. Only ancient pic I still have of it
Attachments
8552210.jpg
8552210.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:15 am I ran an lp12 platter with a gl69 idler and motor. It can be run with an offboard solution.
Didn't have any other lp12 bits left though. Only ancient pic I still have of it
How did it sound then Ant ? Did you have to glue the two parts of the platter together ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

It sounded good, not really any better than a normal lp12. It was all abit pointless really
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

An Lp12 is what it is. Start messing too much and results likely unpredictable. Plenty well researched upgrades that people make for a living. If you want an off board powered deck I suggest buy a Michell or Notts A. Actually given the used prices I would advise against self designed DIY Lp12 mods as you almost certainly are devaluing it.

Back to the OP, I had Arcam 2+ for some years and they certainly are a nice sounding, well balanced speaker. Used them with an Audiolab 8000A.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

On certain records my LP12 sounded fabulous...but the opposite on most of my other records. I felt like it was effectively dictating what I listened to. When I realised I was mostly listening to only 7 or 8 records, it was obvious I needed to try something else. Modding is a personal decision, I feel. There are pros and cons.

All turntables make compromises. None are perfect. Garrards and Lencos are most enjoyable, to me. YMMV.

I also had a Cyrus One, back in the day. Lean and clean. I imagine it's a good complement to an LP12.

I remember the Arcam 2s but never heard them. They appeared to be a little more balanced than many of the flat earth designs, iirc.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Many moons ago when I bought hifi magazines I recall the pr(oduction quality of some albums being slagged off in the record review section, concerning albums where I do not think anything is amiss. Duke by Genesis springs to mind. I put this down to the LP12.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Yes my "old" LP12 does sound very good on some records but not so great on others but I can tolerate it. The little Cyrus, when not pushed to hard really seems to "like" the linn as for the arcams they are all ways a pleasant listen when played :grin:
I try to rotate what little stuff I have every now and again, as I've found out the hard way that leaving things in the cupboard for to long can end in disaster :evil: and sometimes it's just nice to revisit a previous sound :-?

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:44 pm Many moons ago when I bought hifi magazines I recall the pr(oduction quality of some albums being slagged off in the record review section, concerning albums where I do not think anything is amiss. Duke by Genesis springs to mind. I put this down to the LP12.
Duke isn't great on original vinyl due to the groove cramming and cutting technology of the time. Too much surface noise on my copy. So that isn't LP12 related. The Linn sound did benefit a lot of 80s vinyl cuts were the upper end is bright with thin mids and curtailed bass. I would think LP12 was ideal at offsetting this sound balance. Luckily their own 'Hats' vinyl issue which featured in LP12 dems of the late 80s sounds good on anything.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)