Mains - A Lesson Learned

All general audio posts go here.
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Mains - A Lesson Learned

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Over the past couple of years I have been quick to complain about of the quality of the mains.

I have been plagued by a buzzing noise which originated in the kitchen. The noise was amplified by my power amp which is a second statement. Mrs S would often get fed up with the noise and turn the system off using that good old method of pulling out the plug. Since the entire system runs from one mains plus this meant a complete switch off of the system.

I borrowed a BMU from Richard which had a negligible effect on the noise. Further investigation and a dc blocker was added which was an improvement. However, the noise remained and seemed to get progressively worse.

The noise from the kitchen was finally identified as coming from the fridge freezer. It’s 4 years old so I assumed that it has a dodgy component but within the manufacturers specifications.

A couple of weeks ago we decided to defrost the freezer compartment. This was the first time we had done this since the fridge freezer was installed. A few days before, the system had been turned off (it’s part of the family Christmas decoration ritual - don’t ask any questions !).

So, back from our Christmas break and today I finally got to plug everything back in. Well, this was a very pleasant surprise. The defrost had “rebooted” the fridge freezer. I can only assume that the unit was working flat-out previously and the removal of a lot of ice. The silent FF means that I now have a silent amplifier 😀

I suppose the lesson is that the problem is not always what you think it is and be prepared to think outside of the box for a solution. If RD is looking down and reading this I suspect he might be having a quiet chuckle.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Mains - A Lesson Learned

Unread post by slinger »

So, the moral is... think outside the (ice)box? :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

😂😂😂😂😂

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I was presented with a ticking noise on Sunday evening, turned out to be caused by a USB drive being used to record in an Allen and Heath Qu32 mixer. Explain that one please? An identical USB drive didn't do it.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

q
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm I was presented with a ticking noise on Sunday evening, turned out to be caused by a USB drive being used to record in an Allen and Heath Qu32 mixer. Explain that one please? An identical USB drive didn't do it.
Not a scooby doo Geoff.

Powercut here day before yesterday. The power went back on and off in quick succession before finally coming back on properly. Killed my shower :angry-steamingears:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am q
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm I was presented with a ticking noise on Sunday evening, turned out to be caused by a USB drive being used to record in an Allen and Heath Qu32 mixer. Explain that one please? An identical USB drive didn't do it.
Not a scooby doo Geoff.
That makes two of us then
karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 am Powercut here day before yesterday. The power went back on and off in quick succession before finally coming back on properly. Killed my shower :angry-steamingears:
Ouch! I thought devices were supposed to be able to cope with that sort of thing?

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I shouldn't have made jokes about power. We had an outage last night that meant I missed the end of the program I was watching, the next episode of a series I'm following, and the first episode of a new series which looked promising. The power came back on at about 1:30 this morning and all of my smart bulbs (every bulb upstairs) went into "setup" mode, which means that they were all flashing twice per second. :roll: Downstairs I've got several smart touch-switches which default to "on" as I found out. I ended up making coffee and trawling the net until about 4:30 this morning trying to make myself tired enough to go back to sleep.
Thankfully, nothing seems to have blown up.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X