Time to change.

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Time to change.

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Since listening to music from the early 60s my involvement grew. Saturday mornings spent in W.H.Smith's (ealng broadway) spending my wages,they had booths back then! pick an album go to booth put headphones on, listen if you liked it that's what you took home,All vinyl. Sometimes the particular track/tracks I listened to we're far better than the whole album. Whenever that was not the case l went back and purchased a second copy sealed .most of which I still have today. Age and recent curcumstances (shaky hands) have recently led to a few damaged albums. Can no longer count on being able to cue up an album of which I have a few.
(Tho' not vast ) about 450 , so i am loathed to destroy them, had to open up an unplaid dark side and trapeze, two of my favourite albums due to dropping the arm :violin: so time to move on, sell vinyl? Couldn't do that. Find an automatic tt , yes that might work?
Any idea's :grin:

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Time to change.

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Would not just using a arm lift avoid your problems?

Not sure why a dropped arm would write a LP off, cartridge maybe. What arm and cart are you using?

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

I would suggest a Technics SL10 which are incredibly easy to use - just put LP on platter, close lid and press play button. Stops automatically and functions almost like a cd player !
It is also an excellent turntable despite it toy like looks. I use a Shure V15 p-mount stylus on mine and it genuinely plays 'real music'. There are lots of P mount styli to choose from at reasonable cost and fitting is a piece of cake. SL10's can also run on 12vDC and when I added a high spec linear PSU to mine it takes the SL10 to a whole new level. A seriously good TT in my view.

Useful link here

https://www.hifinews.com/content/techni ... -turntable

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Arm lift, yes, sometimes though in stupidity I choose to listen to an other track, as I used to (my mistake) not written off just a big click ,stuck stylus.etc.
I suppose the answer is, don't cue any tracks without the arm rest! Easypeasy

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Aro, so something's are limited?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Swap to a big Japanese fully auto dd deck.
My wife hasn't destroyed a single record or cart with the jvc QL-Y5F I restored, wouldn't use any deck at all until I got it.
And the tt combo you have is probably worth a significant sum that your pocket would like
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

An arm lift works for me and my one arm.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Good one DQ? Thanks VA. will start lookin :idea: