New Turntable wanted

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: New Turntable wanted

Unread post by zebbo »

If you like the sound of PT then I think you're going to struggle to find something that matches up sonically. I moved from the Anniversary to a 401 but it was a wrench and there's aspects of the Pink's performance that it can't hope to match - swings & roundabouts.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Not sure if you have used True Point to get your new drive belt. I used their services about a year ago to repair my Pink Link and the service and cost was very good. I cannot remember the blokes name who runs it but he is very helpful and easy to deal with.

http://www.true-point.audio/
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Idler or direct drive is the route I'd take.

It'd be a case of whatever I saw good deal on first. It could be a Lenco or a Garrard 301 or 401.

Or it could be a Pioneer PL 51, or maybe a Sony PSX. Or some other Japanese or German direct drive...

Or it could be some obscure, over engineered radio broadcast deck...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Judging by the requirement for 'lean and mean' sound I would suggest an original Roksan Xerxes if you can find one without a bendy top plate. Also why not try a new/current direct drive model (either new or slightly used) such as the Technics GR ( not much over £1K new). A used Notts Spacedeck or Gyrodec might also fit the bill.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Agree that Lenco/Garrard is not a lean and mean sound but with careful arm / cartridge selection you can 'lean' them down somewhat.
Pioneer PL71's are full bodied too. Technics 1200 ?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A changing of the positioning or angling of your speakers, or of your position in the room will make more tonal difference than changing the turntable.

If that's not convenient, for whatever reason, cartridges make more tonal difference than the turntable.
For example try a Decca / London cartridge (make sure the arm, especially the bearings can handle the amount of energy fed into it by the cartridge if you try one of these).

The support and positioning of the turntable can make a difference too.

I'm not a fan of boring belt drive turntables. Some people seem to like them. As a species they are generally not for me.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
savvypaul (Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 pm)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I haven't had a belt drive deck in years so I'm not going to attempt to recommend something to replace the pt.
I've had a look at the pt too, and I can't see why the platter should be dropping.
Only thing I can think of it that one or more of the threaded adjusters for the subchassis has a stripped or worn thread. Probably not the adjuster itsself, but the part it threads into. If I've read the design right, the adjusters are captive and turning them adjusts the spring hangar up or down to level the subchassis. I'd think that it was the hangars that need looking at, if they are nylon it's likely that they have damaged or stripped threads rather than the adjusters themselves. I can't think of any other way the platter could suddenly drop
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions, if I had the skills/knowledge I'm sure it could be put right, and I have heard of True Point but my thinking it would cost as much to have it serviced. The main problem is the armboard is glued to the sub chassis rather than bolted, or at least that's what I think. I've got my eye on a couple of tt's on ebay, both a fair distance to travel and also a Rega RP8 which could be posted. This was one recommendation from another forum which might be of interest to vinyl fanatics.
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... 00-mc1000/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If I had the money I would buy that.
I had a pf800 and it was the only belt drive I regret selling.
The pf1000 is the same apart from the inner platter which is heavier.
It's a DC motor deck, the speed can be adjusted and stays where its put without any waver. the top plate hangs from the springs under the three gold adonised covers
In my opinion its an absolute cracker, the best bd deck I've ever had.
The twin pipe arm looks odd, but ime works really well. It could probably be taken off if you wanted to swap it, but I never attempted to with my pf800
For 800 quid it's a bargain imo
The entire deck is built like a brick outhouse
But it does not sound like the pink triangle, so I cant say buy it because you might not like it
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
antonio66 (Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

Hello
As a PT user and enthusiast, I don’t think you will find another deck that has the same balance of sound quality.

A good service / repair could well sort any issues you may have. I can personally recommend Doug Brady Hifi for all things Pink T. Their tech guy used to work at Pink Triangle and would most likely be able to get your deck singing.

Regards
CB
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post:
antonio66 (Fri May 08, 2020 2:15 pm)
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s