New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

Unread post by TroutFisher »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 am You will find lots of recommendations on forums. Most are based on who is friends with who. Of course, it's nice to be nice to your friends but you should use your own ears and 'play the field' before committing. Listen to units in your own system alongside your existing unit for at least 14 days. Satisfy yourself that what you're hearing is actually better rather than just a different flavour.
True, and Nick is a friend of mine. However, I bought a MCJ3 Phono Stage from him after listening to one extensively and on several different occasions. I’m a very satisfied user/owner.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

TroutFisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 am You will find lots of recommendations on forums. Most are based on who is friends with who. Of course, it's nice to be nice to your friends but you should use your own ears and 'play the field' before committing. Listen to units in your own system alongside your existing unit for at least 14 days. Satisfy yourself that what you're hearing is actually better rather than just a different flavour.
True, and Nick is a friend of mine. However, I bought a MCJ3 Phono Stage from him after listening to one extensively and on several different occasions. I’m a very satisfied user/owner.
My post was a comment on the nature of forums. I don't know who you are (in real life), so I didn't know that you are friends with Nick until you just told me. A friend (who got me into Garrards) has an MCJ3 (though, possibly a slightly earlier model), and he loves it.

At the price Richard sold the P2, I couldn't find anything near it for SQ. The price of the new P1 & P2 will be financially viable, but still a stone cold bargain. We will have some introductory offers on them.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Berty bass wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm Not part of the trade-in scheme, as such. We could fit 2 sets of the new Toroidy transformers and Vishay capacitors into one of your existing PSU cases. You'd then be able to sell your other PSU, separately. The head unit of the P2 can usually sit happily next to your turntable (on the opposite side to the t/t motor).
Is that an option that is available now, or one that will not be available until you introduce the single box, dual PSU option next year? If the former perhaps you can PM me costs and I can chew over it? Thanks.
It's possible now, but I will need to talk to Tomasz about how much work is involved. That will partly depend on where the existing transformer & caps are located. If there's room for a 2nd transformer without having to chisel the existing transformer & caps out, then you have a lower cost option to just fit one new transfomer & caps. If the existing transformer has to be removed to fit a 2nd, then you might as well fit all new. I will PM once I know the exact score.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:06 pm It's possible now, but I will need to talk to Tomasz about how much work is involved. That will partly depend on where the existing transformer & caps are located. If there's room for a 2nd transformer without having to chisel the existing transformer & caps out, then you have a lower cost option to just fit one new transfomer & caps. If the existing transformer has to be removed to fit a 2nd, then you might as well fit all new. I will PM once I know the exact score.
Much appreciated - thanks Savvy. BB