Amplified vs Phono stage question

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Amplified vs Phono stage question

Unread post by karatestu »

When a tv is connected to a hifi can you not use the tv remote to change volume ? Showing my numptiness here. Or does the signal exit the tv at a fixed level ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Berty bass wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:14 pm Thanks for the replies so far, all. If any of the NVA options had a remote facility I'd have probably changed already, to be honest. The TV goes through the amp also, so a remote is really handy as we're perpetually turning it up and down to compensate for deafening sound effects or inaudible dialogue etc.
While I realise your TV might not give you the same options, we use the TV headphone output to the amp, this gives the ability to control the volume via the telly itself.
These users thanked the author Quarknosis for the post:
karatestu (Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:54 pm)
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

karatestu wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:41 pm When a tv is connected to a hifi can you not use the tv remote to change volume ? Showing my numptiness here. Or does the signal exit the tv at a fixed level ?
I think you're probably right if using the output via the phono sockets, HDMI and optical.

Berty if your TV has optical out what about about a cheap remote controlled DAC for the TV?
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If you live in or near West Yorkshire I'd be happy to pop round with my NVA P50SA and A20. And you could make your own mind up on how this compares to your Rega.

NVA and Rega have completely different business models and overheads and a rather different amplifier design philosophy.
I'd be cautiously optimistic that a P50SA and A20 would sound better than your Rega in your system.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Dear all - thanks for the advice with regard to the TV volume. That really is the only source where it would be a major inconvenience not to have remote volume control. These comments have really given me food for thought.

Lindsayt - Thank you for the offer, I'm in Chester, so possibly a bit too far? It was Richard's comprehensive explanation of design philosophy on the NVA website that originally convinced me to take a punt on the Phono 1. To a numpty like me his explanation of the virtues of simplicity in his designs really made sense.