Lockdown system change.

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Lockdown system change.

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

like many who have been stuck indoors i decided to have a sort out of the stuff i have accumulated over the years. Been buying stuff since the late 60s, yes had my 70 birthday in july! never been one to sell anything i bought ,i passed on to a few friends and family. things i wasnt 100% sure about, the rest stayed re boxed and stored (sad i know) So, went back to basics, well almost, lp12 , Rogers a75 amp, nad cd player . Newish additions cubetts, ls1 and ssc . Result relaxed enjoyment, no more HIFI thoughts just great music not for everyone, i know but for me pure pleasure . sometimes simple is good ;)
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:55 pm) • slinger (Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:55 pm) • Latteman (Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:49 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Lockdown system change.

Unread post by karatestu »

Happy belated Birthday :guiness;

Simple and unpretentious can be a blessing. Enjoy the music and forget about the gear.

There was a time when you couldn't own up to owning a LP12 here :shifty: Now you've done it :clap: And how about this I've got one as well :lol:

What bits and bobs have you got on yours ? Maybe we should start a LP12 thread? And a few other members(Alfi, guydarryl) have one as well . Alfi knows his stuff about LP12's :dance: .
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

What gear were you using before ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Pre cerkus, aro k9 ,tucana11,regarx5. so nothing special. tucana been with my son for quite some time now along with rx5s. so with rega , roksan and cyrus amps, dynaudio arcam speakers and of course cubetts. roksan cd player. so quite a bit of box swapping
sad isnt it. never reached "audiophile levels"just bought what i could afford and sounded right, imo.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Should have said aro passed on a while back. Now origional lvx and goldring 1042. life sèems easier.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

There are other arms that I think are better at hitting the mark than the Aro.

My LVX. Something went wrong with the counterbalance, with it going all gungey. And it's not a good enough arm to warrant spending any time or money on it.
Yours has done well to last all this time.

karatestu
Great Britain

Aro still does it for me but tnen I haven't tried anything else on my 12.

I have a friend very local who gets every Linn upgrade for the 12 as soon as they come out. He thinks the deck has become much more accurate but has lost something (it's soul ?) along the way. I refuse to listen to his system because I am happy where I am with mine.

My LP12 is a 1988 pre cirkus with original AC motor. I have a Naim Aro unipivot Avondale Taps 2 psu & Lyra Argo MC, Also got an aftermarket subchassis (like the keel) 2nd hand and some Annologue Innovations (Alfi) insole spring replacements (not springs).

I think an aftermarket top plate with motor position moved to 7.30 might be the only other thing I get although Alfi would probably tell me not to bother and just to get the motor postion moved on the original top plate.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Yes my lvx had the same problem but a local guy stripped and replaced it with a new sleeve or o ring? cant remember which and its been fine ever since.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:35 am Aro still does it for me but tnen I haven't tried anything else on my 12.

I have a friend very local who gets every Linn upgrade for the 12 as soon as they come out. He thinks the deck has become much more accurate but has lost something (it's soul ?) along the way. I refuse to listen to his system because I am happy where I am with mine.

My LP12 is a 1988 pre cirkus with original AC motor. I have a Naim Aro unipivot Avondale Taps 2 psu & Lyra Argo MC, Also got an aftermarket subchassis (like the keel) 2nd hand and some Annologue Innovations (Alfi) insole spring replacements (not springs).

I think an aftermarket top plate with motor position moved to 7.30 might be the only other thing I get although Alfi would probably tell me not to bother and just to get the motor postion moved on the original top plate.
You mean you like your LP12 now that it is less like an LP12...

;) :whistle: :epopc:
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:58 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:13 pm
karatestu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:35 am Aro still does it for me but tnen I haven't tried anything else on my 12.

You mean you like your LP12 now that it is less like an LP12...

;) :whistle: :epopc:
You got me bang to rights there :lol: But with all the different versions over the years, different motors, bearings, psu's etc etc who really knows what an LP12 is anymore ?

I refuse to spend loads of money on it so have cherry picked some second hand bargain bits and bobs. To be honest I liked mine when it was a standard pre cirkus deck. But you know how it is :roll: something can always be improved. It cost me £150 in about 2001 and that included arm, cartridge and lingo 1. Added an aro, a better cart when that ran out and that was it for about a decade.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE