Over the top

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Over the top

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 pm
valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm Personally, I'd not rubbish a product I'd not actually heard, or at least read a factual test report from a reliable source.

Let's not forget that even amongst hi-fi affectionados, there are those who value a low box count. :)
It's design ethos is a matter of fact.
Indeed Paul. But does that automatically mean it will be a bad performer ?
No. But my experience is that items with significant complexity rarely offer good value when it comes to sound quality.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

I can well remember when anything Hi-fi with an integrated circuit, or op-amp was rubbished. It has to be discrete (said the pundits) to be any good.

Well, even RD used op amps, and I believe the Phono series still do ?

I'm sanguine re technology these days, the only caveat is "does it do the intended job as expected", if it does then what's the problem ?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Everything involves a compromise. You choose the compromises that hurt you least, according to your own ears.

Being open minded is good...but, with so many variables on offer, at some point you need to know your own mind.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

slinger wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:03 pm Did you see the weight of the thing? I think they're charging by the ounce for it.
My tape recorders weigh less than that!

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:53 pm
valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 pm

It's design ethos is a matter of fact.
Indeed Paul. But does that automatically mean it will be a bad performer ?
No. But my experience is that items with significant complexity rarely offer good value when it comes to sound quality.
The more things you expect a product to do the more you have to compromise on how it does them, especially if you want it to actually sell.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:29 pm)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm
The more things you expect a product to do the more you have to compromise on how it does them, especially if you want it to actually sell.
Being a "high end" sub brand (of Rotel) it's obviously aimed at those of much above average earnings.

So that audience probably have different thoughts (from us enthusiasts) on what is desirable, or not.

Reading a test report of it, and its matching stereo amp, reveals it works OK, not the very best, but then, what is ? (regardless of price)

https://www.hifinews.com/content/rotel- ... -amplifier

savvypaul
Great Britain

valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm
Being a "high end" sub brand (of Rotel) it's obviously aimed at those of much above average earnings.

So that audience probably have different thoughts (from us enthusiasts) on what is desirable, or not.

Reading a test report of it, and its matching stereo amp, reveals it works OK, not the very best, but then, what is ? (regardless of price)

It's a free country, as they say, but you propose that above average earnings and being an enthusiast are mutually exclusive? I could afford to buy a hi-fi system that is 3 times the cost of the one I have, but I can see what is going on a lot of the time, behind the bling cases and the marketing spiel.
I am in the hi-fi trade

valvesRus
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:58 pm
It's a free country, as they say, but you propose that above average earnings and being an enthusiast are mutually exclusive?
Not at all, but I suspect the priorities in choosing equipment change as one goes up into higher, and higher income brackets.

Same with houses,cars, motorcycles and boys toys.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 pm

I could, if I so desired, but the control amp and the matching power amps but I don't so desire. I don't have 12U of rack space to put it in for a start.

The whole thing is about integrating every audio source in the house into a single box, it probably does that very well, if that is what you want. The Quad Vena or Artera will do much the same at 1/4 or 1/2 the price respectively. In a much smaller footprint.

I don't think it is aimed at enthusiasts it is a "Lifestyle" product that will impress one's guests, if not necessarily their ears.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I wrongly thought it was just a preamp when i thought of starting the thread but it turns out to be full of all sorts of new wizardry. Oh well at least it prompted some debate.

I still wouldn't buy it though. Will likely be an expensive door stop in a few years time. Full of tiny surface mount components with not a hope in hell of repairing apart from maybe back to the manufacturer and they will most likely just swap the pcb for a new one. Repair after warranty expires will cost a pretty penny. There comes a point where chucking it in a skip is more cost effective than repair. And nowt angers me more than chucking stuff away :naughty:

The beauty of simplicity runs to ease of repair as well, a repair that even an amateur like me can do. Nice big chunky leaded components (that you don't need a microscope to see) with as few components as possible = ideal for me. Maybe I should be into valve amps, vinyl and single driver full range speakers ? Sounds like somebody we know from South Yorkshire :think:

As you were :violence-hammer:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Hannes-Gregor (Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:29 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE