That old chestnut - cartridge choices

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

That old chestnut - cartridge choices

Unread post by Berty bass »

Having just taken delivery of one of Vinyl Ant's superb, rebuilt Lenco GL75's (with Audiomods arm) I'm intending to treat it to a new cartridge towards October/November time and am in the 'research phase' of the purchasing cycle. I've enjoyed using a Goldring Excel GS (MC) for the last 3 years or so but the cantilever has moved out of line and it now requires a rebuild, so I think I'll take the opportunity to try something different. Ant was good enough to sell me a Hana SL at a decent price which is doing commendable work at present, so there's no urgency, but the 'try something different' itch is becoming one that needs scratching and I've started drawing up a short list of a few cartridges up to £900. I've enjoyed MC very much in recent years but I'm intrigued by MI designs too so the therotetical list so far is:
Goldring 2500
Cartridge Man Music Maker

To which I've added a couple of MC's too:
Goldring Ethos
E.A.T. Jo No 5
Garrott Optim S2

So, anyone got any comments/experience of any of the above - or want to make a case for any alternatives I should be considering?
Thanks,
BB

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: That old chestnut - cartridge choices

Unread post by savvypaul »

I've heard the Cartridge Man and liked it but I don't know if the price difference over a Grado Gold is fully justified.

I'd like to hear one of these: http://www.referencefidelitycomponents. ... 0-bloom-3/
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Berty bass (Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:40 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:06 pm I'd like to hear one of these: http://www.referencefidelitycomponents. ... 0-bloom-3/
Funnily enough that's just been mentally added to the list after trawling the Analogue Seduction website in the last half hour.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Zyx, benz and at 33ptg.

Got all 3, all excellent and I'd be hard pushed to rank them.

All 3, share a boron cantilever and fine line diamond.

There good enough for me not to worry what 1000+ gets you.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 2):
Berty bass (Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:40 pm) • Theo (Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 pm)

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I'm with DQ on this: the Benz Glideris as much as most will ever need. as is the Zyx. That doesn't stop me wishing for the new Zyx Ultimate 100, or indeed the Audio Technica Art 1000 - but only if someone gives them to me...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Goldring eroica and elite share the same generator as your excel, probably slightly tweaked and with a different stylus profile. The eroica is an fg2, not sure what the elite is though.
I would suggest the dynavector dv20x2l, but there only seems to be me that likes them. I have 2 of them so am biased
I bought a new eroica about 10 weeks ago to replace an old eroica, that had replaced a really old eroica. I rather like them. So am also biased towards them aswell. Broke it today while dusting the jvc deck. Had to swap it out for an ancient (nos) denon dl301 mk 1 i bought on a whim a few years ago. I was less than happy, and am still livid with myself but at least i had a replacement..
This is going to cost me...
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Sorry to hear that Ant. By the way I will be in touch soon about the thing I sent you a PM about a while back. If that's ok of course.
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Yes thats fine, no sympathy for me, it was my own stupid fault
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Anyone whose tried a boron/fine line who doesn't think it's the bees needs?