Naim Muso Qb

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Naim Muso Qb

Unread post by karatestu »

I had a whole evening listening to Amazon music through this £750 Naim box of tricks. Got the iPhone to connect to it eventually. It is a cube shape of approx eight inches. Very small and you could hide it in all sorts of places.

What about how it sounds ? Surprisingly Good for a tiny box full of new devilry. Perfect for casual listening from Amazon music. Be under no illusion though it will not get anywhere near rivalling a full nva system with digital front end.

There is a surprising amount of bass from this thing although it's not what you would describe as quality bass. I don't know how my friend has set this up and if there is an onboard equaliser. I didn't want to delve in to messing about with parameters. The bass is overblown but probably something you could do something about. It fills a small room nicely.

I don't have much to compare this thing to as generally I don't do streaming or file based stuff. Compared to the B&O Beosound 2 single speaker system I heard at my sister's house it is not as good but less than half the price. Not that price is any indicator of goodness.

Would I buy one ? In three words..... no no no.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
slinger (Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:46 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Naim Muso Qb

Unread post by Fretless »

Not a pretty sight:

Somehow reminds me of Marvin the Paranoid Android.

These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:51 am) • slinger (Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:46 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

I've got one of these in my kitchen, the first edition model.

It's perfect for what I want, a nice sound when cooking/listening to podcasts, I picked it up second hand for around 300 quid. The sound is pretty bass heavy, mids arent the clearest, treble is ok.

I'd have loved a small hifi setup in the kitchen but we are space constrained so I'm happy with it. I think It looks pretty decent too (with the grills on) :)
These users thanked the author Twistedheat02 for the post (total 2):
slinger (Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:46 pm) • Fretless (Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 pm)
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I have a little JVC mini-tower in the kitchen, fed by a Sonos Connect. The JVC actually has bi-amped speakers and sounds surprisingly good.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

As a product I think it’s quite clever. The cachet of Naim in a small box that “young people” can play in their small homes no that they have been priced out of the housing market.

Am I being cynical ? Probably, but that’s the way I see it. Very clever marketing by the boys from Salisbury.

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 am I had a whole evening listening to Amazon music through this £750 Naim box of tricks. Got the iPhone to connect to it eventually. It is a cube shape of approx eight inches. Very small and you could hide it in all sorts of places.

What about how it sounds ? Surprisingly Good for a tiny box full of new devilry. Perfect for casual listening from Amazon music. Be under no illusion though it will not get anywhere near rivalling a full nva system with digital front end.

There is a surprising amount of bass from this thing although it's not what you would describe as quality bass. I don't know how my friend has set this up and if there is an onboard equaliser. I didn't want to delve in to messing about with parameters. The bass is overblown but probably something you could do something about. It fills a small room nicely.

I don't have much to compare this thing to as generally I don't do streaming or file based stuff. Compared to the B&O Beosound 2 single speaker system I heard at my sister's house it is not as good but less than half the price. Not that price is any indicator of goodness.

Would I buy one ? In three words..... no no no.
Just re read your post..

The only eq settings that the first model has are a loudness setting and a room proximity setting, you can set distance to the wall. Closer = less bass, further away = more bass.

I agree it wont get anywhere near hifi sound quality, but it's an entertaining listen if you want a bit of noise in the background.

One of my uncles bought 2 of them after he listened to my one. He appreciates a nice sound but doesnt want the complexity of a full hifi rig... fair enough!
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2