NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

All reviews of NVA here.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

Unread post by TheMadMick »

TIS 1m Loan pair - initial experiences

As some may remember, I had a set of Mk1 TIS and returned it as it didn't suit my system. In the meantime I have changed my main source to the Blusound vault and the speakers to MA PL200's. The speaker cable is Atlas Mavros.

I was advised that the cable does not need running in. That is contrary to my experience with other cables and, with due respect, this does need running in. It has been in my system with somewhere over 40 hours running. It started with an upper mid range hardness (female voice) and over time this has reduced. I have just been playing Capercaille's eponymous album and the experience was exquisite.

Allow me to expand. The dynamics are excellent. The system seems to start and stop in a sixpence, the bass has filled out over the Oriton Symphony Orange I was using, the stereo image has more height and the whole musical experience is simply more detailed. There is no effort picking out backing singers and instruments. They are laid bare to the ear. However, the "group of players" I had last time has not materialised and even relatively complex music e.g. Alicia Keys Songs in Am, the separate strands are clearly differentiated but also sound like music with all the elements playing together.

If the upper mid range hardness disappears, then it's a sale.

The anomaly is that the interconnect costs about half the price of the source component. So much for the 10% "rule".
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

By text:

Upgraded P90SA & Pre-owned A70s

"One week on and I am very happy to say my system sounds better than ever. Bizarrely, I had to reposition the Cubix quite a bit, but when it clicked it was a genuine wow moment. I expect to squeeze even more out of it as I upgrade my interconnects, but right now it's bloody good...so a big thanks to you and Tomasz."
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ian (via nvahifi.co.uk)

LS6 REVELATIONS

WOW! The difference is not subtle from LS5 upgrade. Tweeters of the Alon (Nola) Petites wired with LS5, with the upgrade to the mid/bass units. More space, intelligibility, foot tapping pace. Sweeter with sibilance reduced. Feel the spades for the speaker end makes a difference as well. System: A70 mono/AP20 Power/P50/MDac+/Audiomeca Kreatura.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

eagwok33 via email

P3 conversion & wiring upgrade
P50SA upgrade

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sending my P50 priority :-)
I definitely will let you know, how my P3 will work with P50sa.

What I can tell you right now is, that in my current system with p3 connected to my EAR 868 tube line stage (and then into my First Watt M2 Clone amp), there is definitely less noise and RFI than it was before with p3 mc as well as with my p2 mm, which I had before the p3. I can turn the volume up a lot without hearing noise, at around 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock position, I can hear slight noise from my speakers and a faint hum. (My normal listening range with the EAR is 9 to at max. 12 o'clock)
I made a test some minutes ago and took my mobile phone into my music room and held it near and above the phono stage. I couldn't hear any interference from the phone in my system or coming from the p3 (and my horn speaker system is 98dB efficient). This wasn't possible before with both p3 mc and p2 mm. (A mobile phone at this distance triggered interference in the p2 or p3 before.)
My p3 mm has now been installed for 2 weeks in my system and our router (with lan and wifi) is about 6 to 7 meters away in the next room. Wifi isn't always on in our house, but there was no interference up to now with Wifi on. The only difference in my system currently is the EAR tube line stage. Before, I either used the P50sa and most of the time my trusted LFD Anniversary line stage (the latter currently has a technical problem and I have to send it to the UK for repair). Both P50 and LFD picked up interference stronger than the EAR itself according to my memory. So, it will be interesting, how the P50SA will do now.

I wonder, how the wire change alone could have such a positive effect on interference. As far as I understood it isn't shielded, just silver plated wire in Teflon. So, how can this influence the interference from Sky boxes and Wifi routers (and what else is in the air) so positive? It seems, you have magic hands... ;-)
I will definitely do more tests in this regard and let you know.

Best wishes and good night,

Hi Tom,

I did some more testing with p3 and possible wifi interference.

When I use my Tablet (with wifi connection) in my music room, the p3 stays quiet - that's cool!
Only, when I try to use the tablet in less than about 1.5 m distance from the p3 head unit (which I only did to test interference), than interference from the wifi connection can be heard in my system. It's a kind of pulsing ("knocking") sound, which the wifi signal apparently triggers in the p3.
This is a big improvement compared to my p2 mm before. Great job! :-)
When I want to listen to my LPs seriously, than I shut my Raspberry based streaming device down and power it off, also power off the tablet and my Ethernet switch in the music room, as I feel I get the best from my records without these digital gadgets connected to the system (only CD player and phono / tt combos are than connected to my system). I our modern world, this would be most likely a no go, but for me it is the best way to enjoy my music and get connected to it. And only that counts in this case...
You did a great job on my p3 conversion to mm. No more radio interference, just music, very involving music - can it get better than this! :-)

Best wishes,
I am in the hi-fi trade

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

TIS - follow up review

I posted my initial experiences in October and they stand. In the meantime the cable has continued to improve. The level of detail is amazing and even better, it plays music. There is a down side however. Poor recordings still sound poor - even worse in some cases. There is also music which I am accustomed to hearing as a "wall of sound" e.g. Fleetwood Mac, Clannad. The increased level of detail doesn't suit all of them. That's not the cable's fault but changes the enjoyment quotient. Conversely there is some music that sounds sublime - Elbow, The Doves and Opeth's Damnation.

However, there is still a trace of upper mid range hardness. I can live with it for the other benefits I get (even at the price - yes I bought it) and it does seem to be diminishing slowly. That's consistent with my experience with other high quality cables (or maybe it's my ears?).

Yes I would recommend this cable to anyone with a reasonable system. It brings out the best the system can do and it doesn't smother the unpleasant bits. You have been warned. Enjoy!
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

P90SA stepped attenuator and silver internal wiring upgrade

As the crackling of the right side knob was annoying the offer of the modification, coupled with an improvement in sound quality, was very timely. By the time I was able to take it up some very favourable comments had been posted which I can now fully concur with.

The operation of the volume controls is now smooth, completely silent and the improvement in sound quality is more than subtle. A very noticeable increased sense of separation and space, particularly in respect of depth, is apparent on favourite albums I have streamed on high resolution Qobuz. The multi layered guitars on Led Zeppelin’s “Ten years gone” is a prime example of this increased sense of depth with instrumentation coming into and going out of the mix with a greater sense of clarity and coherence. A contrasting track which springs to mind is “Tears” by Rush. The acoustic guitars in the forefront sound further removed from the backing strings adding to the overall sense of emotion conveyed by the vocal.

The upgrade is worthwhile, good value and I am pleased.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

P50SA Upgrade

From wackyraces

Well I have listened to the new NVA P50sa and have to say I was very impressed!

I have the original NVA P50sa to compare it with and no doubt about it the improved model has more than the edge on the original which is already very good indeed. I would never have thought this in a passive design which is nearly identical, but you live and learn.

For me there was more immediacy and it sounded more open - with improved treble.

As much as I would have liked to take on the offer before the Month of November ends, and trade in mine against this one - I have to improve my support furniture first which is holding back the full potential off all my separates (as I have recently learned by accident). So all my funding is being poured into a far better Hi-Fi rack now that I have learned to take the deleterious affects of inferior supports seriously.

The improvement I get with better support furniture is a bigger upgrade than uprading the Hi-Fi separate components themselves. So I have to put myself back on a new level playing field and start reviewing all my kit again.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

P50SA Upgrade

From petermanc1234

Just picked up my upgraded p50sa. I am really pleased with the quick service you offer. Sounds wise, its the NVA sound but just more of it, if that makes sense. I will add more when I have got it run in. The new volume control is silent which will keep my other half happy.
Thanks once again.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Recently got a pair of ssp mk2
I’ve not been able to really tell the effects as I have been in a constant state of change trying to get everything positioned etc and wanted it in my vinyl input- my turntable is always the last to be set up.
Anyway the recent changes allowed me to use a single cable as coaxial from cd to dac- to which I have been listening to a lot lately- well- I was already happy with the performance, adding the mk2 had me in awe- it was surreal- control, timing and Foot tappingly engaged- The only way to describe it is as if there was a conductor now controlling each song, placing instruments, vocals, space etc.Big thumbs up from me
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

petermanc1234
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by petermanc1234 »

Just an update on the p50sa upgrade, I had my daughter around this afternoon and she noticed what I have noticed this last week, that all the instruments seem to have there own space and everything is alot more defined ie the tone of guitars, studio effects. It is like I can see into the music and pick out more information. The upgrade is really well worth the £260 I paid. Thanks once again.