Your last listen

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Your last listen

Unread post by Fretless »

Holger Czukay - Movies. A vinyl treasure found decades ago in a bargain bin (and now worth a pretty penny to collectors). More melodic and quirky than the output of Can, this album found HC experimenting with french horns, disco beats and found sounds from middle-eastern radio. Apparently he made over 3000 tape edits by hand to create a marvellous musical collage that is just great fun to listen to.
If you need a more modern version of this style then try 'The Lemon of Pink' by The Books, utterly brilliant.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It's not often I "rave" about a new album these days but the Waterboys' Modern Blues really is the mutt's nuts, to my old ears at least. It reminds me, for some undefinable reason, of Al Stewart circa early seventies but with a much fatter sound. There are bits of Deacon Blue sneaking through too, and of course in the end it still sounds like Mike Scott and the Waterboys. The songs feel familiar without being hackneyed, comfortable without being boring. It was recorded in Nashville, features Muscle Shoals studio bassist David Hood, and was mixed by Bob Clearmountain. It rocks, it boogies, and it's due for heavy rotation at home.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj20B4fO3yw[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP1kCcn3E4c[/BBvideo]
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Bonnie Prince Billy ... I see a darkness.
Again it's good.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Julia Holter- Ekstasis

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

kazam wrote:Julia Holter- Ekstasis
Interesting - never heard her. First impressions are Marissa Nadler doing Laurie Anderson.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

nerica19

Unread post by nerica19 »

Dug out all my John Martyn albums last night (14 of them I was astonished to count) and reminded myself why I like his stuff so much. Also regretting never having seen him live despite endless opportunities to do so at university and when living in London years ago. Solid Air is the classic of course, esp on vinyl - but I really enjoy The Church With One Bell - on CD - never seen it on vinyl - as there are some great covers on it and the sound quality is real deep and dirty, fitting with his later career slurring voice brilliantly.
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Nate Gordon 'Always Read the Label'

I'm not that down with the youf, but I think this is some sort of Rap. My son had it pushed on him at a party. I thought the CD might well be blank. But no; Rap with a good dose of humour and irony and some quite funky and jazzy bits in the accompaniment. Possibly the only mention of Chesterfield Market in a Pop lyric. Not an unpleasant way to spend a few minutes.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCckx23H154[/BBvideo]
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

nerica19

Saturday's supermarket sweep in Maidenhead's charity shops yielded a pile of gems both on vinyl and CD.

I had no idea what this CD was - but for £1 it turns out to be delightful and a great listen. Gurummu Yunupingu is a blind from birth self-taught native Australian who sings mainly in his mother tongue accompanying himself on acoustic guitar. He's quite a star in Australia but I had never heard of him.

Also, this one on vinyl - and turns out to be an almost mint copy - also for £1. 1982 Alan Parsons album called Eye in the Sky which is fairly Eighties and, surprisingly, contains some slightly familiar tunes (some used in films etc) although I didn't know I knew them. Sound quality is excellent as you might expect from the man who engineered Dark Side of the Moon.

Also picked on a bunch of other vinyl for pennies including five Joe Jackson albums clearly dumped by some one-time fan, as well as three Bowie albums which I don't have. Haven't inspected or listened to quality of these yet, but have listened to Oscar Peterson; The History of an Artist on double vinyl album. Not pristine but good enough and a great jazz listen; 50p well spent!

AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

'Eye in the Sky' was a Hifi standard test disc at one point, the opener 'Sirius' was a big favourite. And 'Old and Wise' was a massive hit single on the Continent. If you're not familiar with his work then you should try 'I Robot', 'Pyramid', 'Turn of a Friendly Card' & 'On Air'. All quality albums with well-written songs, highly inventive production (AP was the master) and great playing and singing performances.

Sorry, I'm a fan.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

nerica19

Fretless wrote:'Eye in the Sky' was a Hifi standard test disc at one point, the opener 'Sirius' was a big favourite. And 'Old and Wise' was a massive hit single on the Continent. If you're not familiar with his work then you should try 'I Robot', 'Pyramid', 'Turn of a Friendly Card' & 'On Air'. All quality albums with well-written songs, highly inventive production (AP was the master) and great playing and singing performances.

Sorry, I'm a fan.
No apology needed; I've now become a fan too and will see what else I can unearth as blimey it sounds good cranked up.
Surprised that I missed the album way back when; but part of the fun is unearthing old stuff and seeing if it's any good and I'm enjoying buying cheap vinyl while I can and before all the old stuff has gone...