THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.......?

All music posts here please.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.......?

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wish I could choose again, just dug a forgotten classic out the loft...........Oh well............THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.......?
:doh:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The kinks were *THE* band of the 60's for me - recordings on BBC4 TV at the mo.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Easy choice this...

R Strauss - Vier Letzte Leider/Metamorphosen (Karajan/BPO/Janowitz).

The 4 Last Songs are, for me anyway, quite possibly the most beautiful 25 mins of music ever written. To know the story behind why (and when) they were written makes them all the more moving. I will never tire of listening to them. The first time I ever heard them live was in 1992 at Birmingham Synphony Hall (Jessye Norman with CBSO) and they were performed at the end of the first half. Such was the emotional impact of the music I don't think there was a dry eye in the house with a few people quite openly weeping in the audience. Never known anything like it before or since.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jammy395

This is the power of good music Grommit...... :clap: :dance:

To know the story behind why (and when) they were written makes them all the more moving. (Quote - Grommit)

Would love to know....... :think:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

jammy395 wrote:This is the power of good music Grommit...... :clap: :dance:

To know the story behind why (and when) they were written makes them all the more moving. (Quote - Grommit)

Would love to know....... :think:
Strauss composed the Four Last Songs in 1948, a year before he died, and they express a calm acceptance of the inevitability of his own death. He knew he didn't have much time left, and as a result many have said that he poured every last ounce of his emotion into their composition. The songs meditate on life, death, and the transition into “the magic circle of the night.”

The words to the last song in the cycle are thus:

Through trouble and joy we have
walked hand in hand;
we can rest from our wanderings
now, above the peaceful country-side.

The valleys fall away around us,
the sky is already darkening,
Only a pair of larks still rise
dreamily into the scented air.

Come here, and let them fly
For soon it will be time to sleep
and we must not lose our way
in this solitude.

O broad, contented peace!
So deep in the sunset glow,
How exhausted we are with our
wanderings—
can this then be death?

Obviously they are sung in German, but to have these words in the back of one's mind - and the knowledge that the great man had not long left to live - makes the music so moving there are times I find it almost impossible to take it all in.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

jammy395

Many thank's for sharing with us a bit of the history to the songs.... :clap:

It does indeed help us apprieciate the music more, knowing a bit of the background to the composition. :dance:

Cheer's grommit.....Am trying hard to get into some classical music......Will keep my eye out for this Strauss, in particular.

jammy :dance:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

jammy395 wrote:Many thank's for sharing with us a bit of the history to the songs.... :clap:

It does indeed help us apprieciate the music more, knowing a bit of the background to the composition. :dance:

Cheer's grommit.....Am trying hard to get into some classical music......Will keep my eye out for this Strauss, in particular.

jammy :dance:
No problem. 8-)

I'd put up a 'recommended listening' list of Classical music for you but it'd clutter this thread - if you wanted to start another one, maybe giving some idea of what style of (classical/orchestral etc) music you like then I'd be more than happy to throw a few ideas into the ring. :)