Talk Talk-The Colour of Spring

All music posts here please.
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Talk Talk-The Colour of Spring

Unread post by Ronin »

terrybooth wrote:Having revived this a couple of times I think that the album - good as it is - suffers from production. It's been assembled rather than played. So maybe you' re trying to get something out of it that basically isn't there ( like people who think that Whole lotta love has bass). Enjoy it for what it is, not what you think it might be.
Ali Tait wrote:
jammy395 wrote:No,, Listen up folk's, the album ( Talk Talk - The colour of Spring ) does not suffer from any production gremlin's. (well no more than most of that era), :naughty:
It sounds sweet as a nut (haunting) when played on mine......?
Therefor I can only assume yer system's just aint grabbin it by the horns....so to speak.....!!!!
Ive never heard it sound so good, since ive assembled my NVA set up this month.....
Strange ....Discuss.
Jammy :hand:
Yes agreed, a great album and well recorded. I have a rip of the SACD and it's the best I've ever heard the album. If you like TT, try the Live At Montreaux dvd, it's great.
Following on this discussion regarding "The Colour of Spring" by Talk Talk

I can already see that there is a difference of opinion regarding how well this album is recorded.

So,how do we really know how well this or some other records has been recorded?

Personally, I've found over the years that some Hi-Fi products/systems sound better with some Records but worse with others :think:

Can you have it all ?

Is it realistic to expect a "Neutral" Hi-Fi system to play everything well?

Or am I just being naive ?

Anyone wish to comment ?

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Talk Talk-The Colour of Spring

Unread post by terrybooth »

There are some albums which are just plain badly recorded and better hi-fi just reveals that. The problem is when you really like the album. I have several instances of this, but I give you Peter Gabriels' 'So' and, in particular, Sledgehammer, which I always think should sound better than it does.

There are some albums which can be touchstones, which just get better the better the hi-fi system. For me, Joni Mitchell's 'Hissing of summer lawns' (having said that, I haven't played it for years and I might just put it on and be completely disappointed).

But the great thing about music is that there is always something else to discover. And that's probably about as much of an opportunity now - with the internet giving artists access to audience as well as a source of music - than it has ever been.

Certainly, The Colour of Spring is a great album, and a favourite of mine, but I have other albums which, for me, in my system, so more like live music, have more dimensionality and convey a musical expression more directly.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Talk Talk-The Colour of Spring

Unread post by Ronin »

Hi terrybooth

Thanks for the follow-up.
terrybooth wrote:There are some albums which are just plain badly recorded and better hi-fi just reveals that. The problem is when you really like the album. I have several instances of this, but I give you Peter Gabriels' 'So' and, in particular, Sledgehammer, which I always think should sound better than it does.
I know exactly what you mean. It’s so frustrating ! I've got that "So" album to sound pretty good on my system, but then I feel I've taken a step back on other albums :x

Talking about Joni Mitchell ,I took Mingus up to my BIL's house and I've never heard it so good .His system comprises of a Technics 120/ Acos tonearm/Grado,SE-valve amp and some AR speakers but,other records that sound good on my system are poor on his :think:

Some Yello albums just keep on getting better with every positive up-grade.And I also feel "The Passion"by Peter Gabriel,David Sylvian-"Secrets of the Beehive" and "Gone to Earth" blossom with more reveling equipment .

I've also found that over the years some albums (that I loved) don't engage me any more but,like you said "there is always something else to discover" and I guess that's the beauty of having so much Music out there, as you grow and your taste changes there's always some type of music that will fill that void :D

The "Colour of Spring" is just one of those pieces of a music evolution until the next chapter in my book (don't know if that makes sense :think: )

All the best

Ronin