Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by CN211276 »

Iron Maiden’s concert in Cardiff last night had an air of a defiant stance against terrorism, fans of music refusing to be deterred by the maniacs. Security was stringent with armed police. The last two times I have seen them have followed terrorist outrages, one in France last year prior to the Download mud bath, and the nutter in Norway before their last concert in Cardiff. As before, Bruce Dickinson issued words from the stage about them never being able to stop love, music and people having a good time.

I have been a big fan of iron Maiden for 35 years and they have never disappointed live. Unlike a lot of established bands they do not rely on past glories, most of the set was from the excellent latest “Book of souls” album, similar to download last year. Most old favourites are omitted, but not “ The number of the beast” and “Iron Maiden”. They were in fine form and their energy level has not diminished with age and they have no plans to call it a day soon. The stage show and pyrotechnics, largely based on the ancient Mayan civilisation, were something special. You really get your monies worth. It was good to see a lot of young people in the audience, showing classic rock still lives in.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Beth Rowley, Brudenell Social Club, Leeds.
Beth
Beth
IMG_20170609_223520119.jpg (796.64 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
(Sorry for fuzzy picture - maybe it does pay to buy a better smartphone.)

I discovered her Little Dreamer album (2008) I tihink from one of those, if you liked that, you might like this recommendations on Amazon. I loved that. She appeared in the film 'An Education' as the nightclub singer, loved that. She produced an EP in 2013 - Wretched Body - I didn't get on with that at all. Spotted her doing a bit on a charity CD and got that. I even heard her being played on a trip to Wickes one day.

I spotted adverts for gigs occasionally, but they were always down south. Spotted this and persuaded two friends to go with me to hear her. I was a little apprehensive that she might not be as good as I hopes she would be.

I learned three things last night.

1. I've been mispronouncing her name. It's Row and in noise not a line.
2. She's the daughter of a preacher and when she told him she didn't like the church music because it was too high or too low for her, introduced her to Mahalia Jackson.
3. I should not have worried. She was wonderful. She has a voice that reaches right into me and, live, it was even better.

She's touring fight now. So, look out for her.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Went to the Lets Rock Leeds 80's retro festival yesterday at Temple Newsam. Only 8 miles to travel so got a lift there and back - plenty of festival lager consumed and the weather was glorious. Feel a bit worse for wear today but it was worth it.

I did not really think i would enjoy it as much as i did. The 80's passed me by a bit as i was only very young and the bands i like where not there (The Smiths, The Cure etc etc) but i knew alot of the songs played. Highlight for me was 'From the Jam' which is original Jam member Bruce Foxton playing the Jam's greatest hits. Absolutely awesome, they kicked ass and sounded just like the real thing. Nick Hayward was also very good and Human League.

Ouch, my head hurts.
DIY FREE ZONE

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Good for you, :clap: there's a big revival on retro gigs where a lot of 80's bands get together and go on tour,
they probably wouldn't fill venues on their own but as a collective, fans do flog to it as they get VFM,
behind all that fluffy hair, powder puff, lip gloss and boys try to look like girls shit, there's some good stuff, 8-)
maybe of interest to you, i sometimes go in Youtube and these 80's revival gigs are huge in Germany and Russia and such like,have indulge a lot on these full concerts and go ''oh yeah, i remember that''. :grin:
Frank...made me do it.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Mrs Hincapie and I saw the Stone Roses at Wembley last night. Very good.

karatestu
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote:Mrs Hincapie and I saw the Stone Roses at Wembley last night. Very good.
Kind of puts my experience in the shade. I would have appreciated a bit of shade yesterday - i sweated my nuts off.

Stone Roses would certainly be one to remember.
DIY FREE ZONE

wiicrackpot

Frank...made me do it.

karatestu
Great Britain

What is it about Radiohead ? Watched them at Glastonbury on the TV.

I love The Bends and OK Computer but imo it goes downhill fast from there. The music is interesting but i find the singing on the later stuff just grates on me and i find it unemotional.
DIY FREE ZONE

wiicrackpot

Seen other posts on other places what is the best of Glastonbury, usual suspects Radiohead, Foo Fighters etc...saw a clip of Foo fighters, not my scene,for me, i've just seen the bests so far, Nile Rodgers 'Chic' and last night Elbow, Barry Gibb was pants.
Frank...made me do it.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Barry Gibb and his band were excellent, my wife and I loved his performance.

Best of what I've seen were The Pretenders, and Elbow were their usual wonderful selves.