Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by terrybooth »

Buddy Whittington and John Mayall. Halifax.

John flogging merchandise in the foyer before the concert - pretty much a staple feature of a Mayall gig. Father of British Blues.

Buddy Whittington was the guitarist with John Mayall last time I saw them - now back with his own band. Did a lovely tribute to Peter Green ( and a fair compendium of blues and his own stuff).

John Mayall - 83 - with a new group - bassist and drummer. As ever wonderful musicians. Greg Rzab on bass and Jay Davenport on drums. http://www.johnmayall.com/band.html John filling in on vocals, keyboard, mouth organ and guitar, going through his back catalogue and some new stuff. Joined by Buddy Whittington towards the end.

A great evening of fun music.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

terrybooth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 am Buddy Whittington and John Mayall. Halifax.

John flogging merchandise in the foyer before the concert - pretty much a staple feature of a Mayall gig. Father of British Blues.

Buddy Whittington was the guitarist with John Mayall last time I saw them - now back with his own band. Did a lovely tribute to Peter Green ( and a fair compendium of blues and his own stuff).

John Mayall - 83 - with a new group - bassist and drummer. As ever wonderful musicians. Greg Rzab on bass and Jay Davenport on drums. http://www.johnmayall.com/band.html John filling in on vocals, keyboard, mouth organ and guitar, going through his back catalogue and some new stuff. Joined by Buddy Whittington towards the end.

A great evening of fun music.

I love Buddy Whittington. I first saw him when he was in the Bluesbreakers with John Mayall and was blown away by his style and beautiful tone.

I next saw him as support act to Gary Moore, but he suffered from the rude Gary Moore fans who couldn't give a shit and were there solely to hear Gary Moore play Parisienne Walkways seemingly.

I then saw him as the main act at the small Manchester Acadamy. Much better suited to him, and a small but knowledgeable audience who really appreciated his playing. I met him after the gig, bought a couple of CDs and had a chat. A lovely man.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Yes, Buddy was there at half time seeking contributions for the Buddy Whittington College fund. I love his choice of songs. The tribute to Peter Green starting off sort of classical guitar style, adding the blues and ending with Albatross. Lovely. but also showing off Buddy's talent in that unassuming way he has.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

BillyBones
Great Britain

Not strictly "live" but I watched Dave Gilmour Live in Pompei (2016) on BBC iPlayer last night. Very good it was too, not seen it before. I have my TV connected to my Marantz SA8005 via toslink just for any music broadcasts that catch my eye like this, and it sounded sublime. A great band (albeit some below par vocals on Great Gig In The Sky, she was a bit harsh on my ears) and Dave Gilmour is such a talented guitarist. Breathtaking setting as well.

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I recorded it but still have to watch. My brother does have the DVD which I believe is approx. 2.5 hours.

BillyBones
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:30 am I recorded it but still have to watch. My brother does have the DVD which I believe is approx. 2.5 hours.

Yes, the BBC broadcast was a shortened 1 hr version of the DVD.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Also, after Dave Gilmour, there was a live studio performance of Deep Purple from this year. OMG, it was awful.

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I have never been a fan of Deep Purple but sorry you found it awful Billy.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

BillyBones wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 am Also, after Dave Gilmour, there was a live studio performance of Deep Purple from this year. OMG, it was awful.
:angry-screaming:
I strongly disagree and so would a sell out crowd at Cardiff Motorpoint Arena last night who paid a lot for the tickets many months ago. This is the third time I have seen DP, the first without the late lamented Jon Lord and the second without Richie Blackmore. They were not relying on past glories and the new material is strong and better suited to Ian Gillan's voice at the age of 72. The played a good length set and "Smoke on the water" went down as one would expect.

A word for the support Europe. They have been in Cardiff before but I have not ben able to see them for one rerason or another. There is a lot more to them than "The final countdown" and they would have blown off a lesser band than Purple.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

BillyBones
Great Britain

I liked Deep Purple in my youth but they were bloody awful on the TV. Ian Gillan really should consider calling it a day I reckon. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them live, always better I know, but the TV did them no favours IMHO.