New Pink floyd album in...

All music posts here please.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: New Pink floyd album in...

Unread post by Classicrock »

It's rather good and has more in common with Wish You Where Here rather than The Division Bell. It's got more Rick Wright on it than anything since the former in fact and I believe has been assembled partly as a tribute. A fine ending even if only in the second or third tier of PF recordings. Actually I think this may be the best Waters less release. Now if only Roger would put out a new album - 22 years since Amused To Death. (The Analogue Productions reissue appears to have been put back yet again with new release date TBA :cry: ). Please note this album has never been promoted as new material.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Bollocks , i thought the debate was settled :angry-steamingears: , i am just going to have to listen to it on spotify .

Dingsking
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dingsking »

Being a Floyd fan, I have acquired this album on 180gm vinyl being a double LP. Tonight I had a listen. First thing to say was that it was a pleasure that the discs dropped over the spindle without being so tight to need force. I'm sure many of us understand this point regarding new issues.

I was disappointed to find that on LP1, track run off on both sides was the best part of 50% of the surface area. LP2 is slightly better. The first side was poor in terms of low frequency surface noise, but the other three were OK. Certainly this whole album has a lot of low frequency sound.

The PF (David Gilmour) statement that this album is a homage to Rick Wright is very reasonable. In principle it is an instrumental album apart from Stephen Hawking on track 7, 'Talkin' Hawkin' and the very last track, 'Louder than Words' with Gilmour's lyrics written by his partner Polly Sampson. Otherwise, this is an album of 18 tracks only two of which are not totally instrumental. In terms of Rick Wright's influence on the bands catalogue, IMO, he was always most prominent in their instrumental tracks beit the introductory album tracks in their later recordings or their more adventurous, although not so successful earlier albums. Think UmmaGumma. The other disappointing thing was that all tracks run into the next with no sound division. So although you think you are sampling between three and seven tracks per LP side, in reality you are hearing one track per side with composition style variation, albeit, being PF, the variation was not astutely evident.

Throughout the whole album, Rick Wright's influence is very evident and interestingly, IMO, track 1 had shades of 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' (Signs of Life) as apposed to stuff from 'Wish You Were Here' as others have suggested. Regardless, to my knowledge, I believe Rick did not contribute to either of these albums.

On my vinyl version I found LP1, side 2, track 1, 'Sum' bass heavy and in consequence, poorly recorded. Side 3, track 4 'Allonns-y (1)' was just an alternative to 'Another Brick in the Wall'

That's my review. Think of it what you like.

Being a Floyd fan, I would not want to be without this album. I like it and surely it will get played many times in the future.
Last edited by Dingsking on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Thanks for that DK - Will seek it out and give it a blast once i get home. :clap:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Here is a link to Floyddroid's (AOS) review on his prog website.

http://progmeister.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-vinyl

I think this gives a fair impression though I don't have a problem with Gilmour's vocal on 'Louder Than Words'. Some added insight into the origins of the recordings.

For Dingsking's information RW contributed only a little to Momentary Lapse Of Reason but is a major part of Wish You Were Here (Shine On You Crazy Diamond pts 1 -Z)
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

News flash - Roger Waters will be releasing a live version of 'The Wall' at the end of November - recorded during his 2013 world tour.

info here: https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... /453/7060/
(double-CD or triple vinyl available)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

The Permed One

Unread post by The Permed One »

I thought Floyds last LP was 'Meddle'! :whistle: