What's the best - Live Performance

All music posts here please.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's the best - Live Performance

Unread post by selby »

I know we all love our HiFi but nothing beats live music, so what's the best live gig/concert you've been to?

My favourite is a few years now but I went to see Karl Jenkins conduct his Stabat Mater at Winchester Cathedral. I was front row and the sound and intensity of the music was unbelievable. Belinda Sykes vocals and duduk playing nearly brought a tear to my eyes.

The album now leaves me disappointed as it never comes close.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

jammy395

Re: What's the best - Live Performance

Unread post by jammy395 »

Keep yer....Zep, Eagles, U2, Foo Fighters, Rush, Floyd, etc etc etc........
eloingliston81.jpg
eloingliston81.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
Jeff and the gang were electric this night.......Sublime. :dance:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Beach Boys at Crystal Palace Bowl 1972. The rest of the bill that day was Richie Havens, Sha Na Na, Melanie, Joe Cocker and the Chris Stainton All Stars. The beach boys managed to reproduce live the sound they got on their records, it was amazing. Oh, and as a little added bonus Elton John sat in with them on Piano
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Simlar thing a couple of years later - Elton John doing Captain Fantastic and the Brow Dirt Cowboy at Wembley. Most of the people where I sat had come to see the Eagles and were hoping Jackson Brown would turn up. But the Beach Boys - as you say - just reproduced what they did on vinyl.

But my favourite Gig was Roger Chapman playing the Bradford Festival (in the 1990s, can't remember when). They came on and played a set good rock for about 90 minutes. Came back on and played for about another hour as an encore. (All the time Chappo with a pint of lager in his hand and taking drinks) and then called back on when they did about another 30 minutes. At the end, taking the applause, he waved his glass at the crowd and said, "I think I'm a bit pissed.".
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lordie82360now
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Emerson, Lake and Palmer in November 1972 - starting off with Abandons Bolero allied to banks of video screens with images of the band.
Bombarded by ping pong balls from the turret of a gigantic Tarkus - armadillo/tank perched in the right hand corner above the stage.
For a young lad it was magic in one of my early live concerts - Strawbs, Curved Air and Stealers Wheel were the intro to the Genre!
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Squeezebox touch EDO,Crucial external USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Peter Gabriel, 'So' tour in Wembley Arena. The band started on 'Don't Give Up' and you could feel the crowd wondering who was going to do the female vocal.

A single spotlight comes on stageside and Kate Bush herself appears. The roar from the packed stadium that greeted her still sends shivers up my spine.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

phlakaton

Unread post by phlakaton »

I just remembered going to see Rickie Lee Jones many years ago at Hammersmith, turns out it was 1983. Glad I googled it, she's coming to London for a gig in October.

Other memorable nights. Caravan at the Marque, Chemical Brothers-Olympia, Irakere with Arturo Sandoval-Ronnie Scotts

The list could go on....All good stuff
Main:
Speakers-NVA CUBE 1
Amps-NVA T.D.S.
Pre.- NVA T.C.S
Power-NVA BMU
DAC- Chord 2QUTE
Inter- NVA SSC and LS5
Source- VortexBox
Portable:
Bose sound link Colour
B&O Beolit 15
Ears:
Sure SE 846
Proguard earphone eartips

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I remember going to see Eric Clapton at Wembley Arena, can't remember when but at least 20 years ago, with Elton John as just an extra bit of entertainment on the side really. Well Clapton was good, no doubt about it, but Elton John ? Bloody hell he was brilliant !
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

jammy395 wrote:Keep yer....Zep, Eagles, U2, Foo Fighters, Rush, Floyd, etc etc etc........
eloingliston81.jpg
Jeff and the gang were electric this night.......Sublime. :dance:
That's brilliant - I really regret not keeping old tickets etc. I was shooting the breeze with a friend about gigs recently and we both realised that we could only remember about 50% of the gigs we have been to......neurons not quite what they were
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s