What treasures did you find on our streaming services?

All music posts here please.
johanjongstra
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What treasures did you find on our streaming services?

Unread post by johanjongstra »

Streaming services like Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music and Qubuz are considered as heaven for all those who appreciate music. I guess you also know the feeling opening your favourite service and think... now what? The overwhelming amount of music can paralize the decision of choosing anything.
Of course there are lots of play-list and sites with recommendations. Still it would be nice to hear about the real treasures you found on one of these services. This could be a nice start in others never ending search for new music. I can only speak for myself, but I can be so enthousiastic about new music I found, or even music I always neglected.

In order to make it real, here is the first treasure I found last week on Qobuz. Would be happy to share that with you.

The fabulous Spanish pianist Javier Perianes made an album where he is looking for similarities between the music of Chopin and Debussy. Two composers from a slightly different era, but so much the same emotion. A real amazing album, very well recorded in the Teldec Studio's, Berlin. The album is called '... les sons et les parfums', Javier Perianes, Harmonia Mundi. I guess the album is on most services available (however specific rights in your country mayprevent playing). And remember, Debussy is around 1900. Still you can hear how much he was the founder of modern Jazz harmony or better the Jazz way of coloring chords.

Here is my Qobuz link:
http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/314902 ... t=12101699

Lots of fun. I hope you share yours.
DAC: Lampizator Amber
Streaming: homemade fanless computer, i7, Windows Server 2012, HQPlayer, Bug Head Emperor, JRiver, Audio Optimizer.
AMP: Rega elicit-r
Speakers: Magnepan MG1.4, Totem Rainmakers
Turntable: Rega P3, Rega exact cartridge
Cables: NVA SSP interconnects, audio quest power chords, Totem Tress Loudspeakercable
Headphone: audioquest nighthawk with rega ear amp

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: What treasures did you find on our streaming services?

Unread post by Fretless »

I had a Qobuz subscription for about a year, dropped it because I didn't use it enough to warrant the cost. Somehow I miss not having a physical object (CD.LP) which I feel gives me the right to listen to the music. Weird psychology and all that. Maybe I'll get over it soon - I found the switch from LP => CD difficult enough.

One of the artists I did discover though, was Chico Hamilton who's jazz quintet in the 50's did a sort of classical/jazz crossover and heavily features Cellist Fred Katz in the lineup. Odd music but interesting to hear.

Chico Hamilton Quintet - 'The Sage'

By the way Johan , your Qobuz link gives those without a subscription access to only a 1-minute excerpt from each track - sounds nice, though. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

I enjoy Spotify for looking up bands I might have happened upon at festivals and then checking them out further which often results in a physical product or future gig ticket being bought.

I was at such a festival this weekend and entirely by chance came across a young London based reggae act called The Skints. I've been listening to them all day,they're bloody great.

https://youtu.be/WE3PLVmZXw8

johanjongstra

Fretless wrote:By the way Johan , your Qobuz link gives those without a subscription access to only a 1-minute excerpt from each track - sounds nice, though. :grin:
Thank you for mentioning that one. Probably not possible to stream the complete album without subscription in Qobuz. Here is the spotify link which might work:
Streaming: homemade fanless computer, i7, Windows Server 2012, HQPlayer, Bug Head Emperor, JRiver, Audio Optimizer.
Cables: NVA SSP interconnects, audio quest power chords, Totem Tress Loudspeakercable

johanjongstra

The Skints sound promising, great 'toasting'
I added Chico Hamilton to my Qobuz albums. Hopefully time to listen tonight in cd quality...